Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual Carb?

heh short of fabin up a manifold including theremostat stat and water cross over i dont like your chances. I think you need a connection bettween the two ports as this is what i have seen in stock and ram performance configuration. On the pic I saw they used some rubber tube between the ports and was approx. the same size at the pcv hose but a little bigger. There are stokc dual carb manifold but they are rare. As 85sub said go efi as its gots more power economy drivability n such. I believe you have an ea81 and a spfi fron an ea82 car will bolt on wiht minor mods. Theres a writeup in the USRM - Repair and Mod section, the button is at the top of each page ;). Even easier is a 32/36 webber and gives you almost the power of spfi but a little less economy.

Hey, I say go for it. It is something that i have often thought about. There would be some fabrication involved, but nothing too extreme.

You would need to make a water cross over (I think) and set up a thermostat. The thermostat could be easily made using a gm one that comes with the housing. You'd just need to make a backing plate for it.

Those intakes are just screaming to have a carb each!

That is an interesting idea, I would be interested to see how it worked.

A MPFI intake manifold/heads would work better for this kind of project because there already is a coolant bridge on the manifold, and there is a better intake setup. (larger diameter)

These guy's sell a dual carb kit. http://www.ramengines.com/index.html

Not cheap, but they are getting 100hp using it with other mods.

A guy could build one of his own for a lot less money.

Did anyone else notice the Fram oil filters on the engines :eek:

2 mafs and 2 tbs will run way, way too rich, the car would be running so far out of its stock parameters that the computer would not be able to compensate, maybe running half fuel pressure could make up for this, but i just don't think it would work
ditto on that

The SPFI system is simply not that flexable.

I bet that if anyone hacks the ECU, we could get a LOT of power out of it just by piddling with the programming.

2 mafs and 2 tbs will run way, way too rich, the car would be running so far out of its stock parameters that the computer would not be able to compensate, maybe running half fuel pressure could make up for this, but i just don't think it would work

What kind of signal does the injector recieve fron the computer?

maybe a better idea would be to build a circuit that will 'split' the signal to two injectors, ie if it is a DC pulse signal, one injector could recieve every second pulse, the other receives the next???

It would probably be easier to build/buy a different fuel control unit and slap that on.

I am at present (somewhat) trying to crack the TBI computer but with no luck.

All programming is done in C and that is a pain to mess with, and I still have not figured out how to read the PROM on the circuit board.

If anyone has info I would appreciate it.

BTW - for those with 87+ turbos, if your computer was hacked, it would be possible to totally eliminate the fuel cut system, and maintain otherwise normal performance without messing with anything else.

Just a thought ...

Are all of you forgetting about MPFI N/A?

Just put bigger injectors in and use a spider manifold with an XT6 TB

Better airflow and better performance - just have to swap the cylinder heads.

The first real upgrade you could do is to swap the heads with MPFI heads.

The stock SPFI/Carb heads do not allow as much airflow in/out as the MPFI heads; therefore you would be limited as to the amount of upgrading you could do by the amout of airflow available.

How about VW carbs, Dual 40mm Kadrons, IDFWebers, Porsche 356 Zeniths 32NDIX's
These carbs may all work, and would be upgrades, but carbueration is inherently inferior to fuel injection because carbs put resistance on the incoming air to allow for the venturi to dispense/mix gas in it.

Fuel injection systems cram as much air into the engine as they can and meter the fuel to match, based on sensor input.

Therefore, because it allows for more air to enter the combustion chamber, and because it can match that additional air with additional fuel, fuel injection is superior.

Tho still a flat four, a Porsche engine would be cheating :-p

are you telling me that when i wanted to rebuild my EA82 motor all i had to do was email ramengines.com and get my rebuild kit, without going through all this trouble of a ej22 conversion, i would have made a BIG mistake by doing that, cant deny 60 extra horsepower. just too darn tempting.

~Josh~

are you telling me that when i wanted to rebuild my EA82 motor all i had to do was email ramengines.com and get my rebuild kit, without going through all this trouble of a ej22 conversion, i would have made a BIG mistake by doing that, cant deny 60 extra horsepower. just too darn tempting.
Pretty much, but ramengines.com is mainly geared toward aircraft which operate for long periods at a particular rpm, so I don't know how well some of their kit would work on cars, but much of it would be very useable.