Ultimate Subaru Message Board
Guest scubabike420

My Subie - can't live with it can't live without it

Guest scubabike420

I love my '95 legacy wagon, but the cold weather in the northeast has really taken a toll on her this year. At the begining of the week I started to smell coolant. Never a good sign. Fearing the worst, head gasket:banghead:, I took it to my local subie dealer. After several hours I get a call. They pressure checked the cooling system and couldn't find a leak, but they did find several oil leaks and two torn CV boots. They took care of the oil leaks which consisted of a valve cover gasket and rear differential plug.

So I pick it up and on the way home I again smell coolant and now I have a lovely, light mist floating out of my vents. I think its safe to say its the heater core. Needless to say my 45 minute ride to work was interesting. I spent the first 20 minutes trying to keep the windshield clean with paper towels with no success. I pull over an stuff the paper towels in all the vents and arrive safely at work.

I get set up with the subie dealer near work for the heat core replacement. In the mean time I check out the torn boots and decided that CVaxles.com is the ticket. So today I get a call from the dealer saying the heater core has come in and I can drop of the car today. While waiting to be picked up I walk through the showroom. I spy a '05 OB sedan 3.0. I have a seat and can't deny it was really nice, but at this point I'm not ready to let go of my '95 wagon. I love my subie.

scubabike420,

Been there, done that. My 02 OBW runs like a top and is the envy of my friends and relatives who couldn't go anywhere in one of our recent one foot snowfalls. Yep, and when I was last in the Subie dealers' showroom, I fell in love with an 05. Its freshened interior and exterior, not to mention the turbo 2.5 had me figuring out how I was going to convince my wife that it was time to trade. I guess it will have to wait a few more years.....sniff.

As much as my wife loves her '99 I may have to fight her to not go to one of the local auto shows to get a close look at the new Tribeca. The new stuff Subaru is putting out sure is nice! I told her she has to wait until the '99 dies.

I might not jump on an 05, since it's the first year. But, in 2010 our 01 OBW will probably be replaced with an 06 version, maybe a GT.

My wife took my Forester in the last snow because she was afraid to drive her Camry in it. I took the Forester back from her this week. She told me the other night that she really missed the Forester in the snow. Looks like I might have convinced her to at least look at an 2005 OBW.

~Howard

:lol:

we stepped down ,we went from a 2000 ob to a 88 turbo full time 4wd wagon, and my wife every week says boy the newer subaru's sure are nice , i keep on telling her remember we have no car payment and full coverage ins , we are saving aleast 500 a month , the next car for her will be yugo 5sp :lol: