Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Overlooked Offroad Upgrade

MorganM

Turbo windshield wiper squirters :grin:

I'll start with some boring background. Ruined a hood on my GL wagon. Grabed a hood from a GL turbo wagon. Didnt realized till I got home that the turbo hood was not equiped with squirters... not even holes to put them in. :eek:

Went to another junkyard and found another GL turbo wagon. Looked at the squirter setup there and they are mounted to the plastic drain tray there between the windshield and hood. I pulled the squirters, hoeses, Y splitter and called it a day.

Went to install them at home and much to my supprise I had the holes for the turbo squirters in my drain tray! Routed the hoses from the water pump to the squirters. Screwed in the squrters and now I'm back in action!

How is this an offroad upgrade you are asking now right? Take a look at your drain tray when you get home. Look for 2 tiny holes there behind the little plastic dam and the lip of the hood. If you have them then you can route in 2 MORE squirters! Anyone who's been on some seriouse trails will know you get junk on your windshield all the time. Good squirters and wipers are key to good visibility on the trail.

Heres the catch... if you dont have the turbo style squirters then you have to drill a single hole about 5/8" ID. Look up on the right (passanger side) corner of your engine bay. There should be a good sized plastic canister with vacume tubes. There in the corner on the fire wall is a small 1" rubber gromet. Pop that out. Now drill a hole in the drain tray there just above it. Now you can route your hoses safely from the engine bay upto the squirters. Trust me going any other way is just going to pinch the hoses and make for a sloppy install.

Kinda long winded for this wussy of an upgrade but its just a little trick I thought I'd share. SUPER easy offroad upgrade for anyone to do. Enjoy! :drunk:

Actually, those style squirters came on non-turbo soobs as well. I don't know which models, but I DO know that 1986 carbed 4wd wagons had them!

Then I dunno what designates which model had them. I spose just find one's that have them! Easy to spot; if you dont see them sticking out of the hood then they are there on the drain tray.

Actually, those style squirters came on non-turbo soobs as well. I don't know which models, but I DO know that 1986 carbed 4wd wagons had them!
I know all 1985 and 1986 models have them (along with other things like the lighter bumpers). I actually had to get a 1988 hood for my car a while back and now have the squirters on the hood, but haven't connected them. They are too honda-ish for me, and at the first oppertunity I get I will get a old-style hood without them. (I like an uncut look)

I just drilled some holes in my hood to mount my old squirters in the new hood. Either way, I've been thinking about hooking up another set with its own pump. I've got to find a different washer bottle that I can hopefully mount inside the engine bay, cause I chopped up my fenders and ripped out the original. Then I will run 2 inline pumps wired in parallel, 1 pump per set.

My old GL had them in the grill in front of the windshield.

We used to turn them sideways and plug one off. The end result would be you have a squirter that will shoot from the fast lane over the middle lane and get the car in the slow lane wet :grin:

Ok, it's juvenile but I was in high school back then so it was OK! :D

My old GL had them in the grill in front of the windshield.

We used to turn them sideways and plug one off. The end result would be you have a squirter that will shoot from the fast lane over the middle lane and get the car in the slow lane wet :grin:

Ok, it's juvenile but I was in high school back then so it was OK! :D

A buddy of mine hd a cherokee with the bach squirter turned arond, sure got tailgaters to back off awfully quick

I'll try and get a pic of the "setup" on Hatchet this weekend.

Its not your everyday washer :brow:

Please do! While my current setup 'works' its not the best. I wish teh squirters actualy hit the windshield first and not just nail the wipers and splatter everywhere.

• 8 months later...

I just did a mod to my washer jets today. I added extra tube ( aquarium air pump tube ) and piped it under the grill out the same hole as the wipers, along the wiper arm ( cable tied down ). I then cable tied the end to the wiper and used a 90 deg squirter from a home irrigation kit ( ~ 25c each ) and aimed it so it sprayed the windscreen vertically.

This makes it move with the wipers washing the windscreen a few millimetres ahead of the wiper. works a treat! :)

I'd read all the posts here but I couldn't be bothered. So I'm just going to say my 89 brumby has them on the drain tray, not the hood. If I find a turbo hood I might get it, but I'd be more interested in whats under the hood :lol:

EDIT: My bothers old Telstar (mazda 626) had sprayers on the hood, but they were double sprayers. So four sets of squirts. Maybe another upgrade? 6 sprayers would chew thru the juice tho!

On my old wagon I drilled holes for the aftermarket led washer lights in my hood, turned out realy nicely, if you dnt have any squirterson your hood then I would reccommend doing it, can get some fish tank tubing from walmart and some y connectors and run as many as youd like, my friends F-150 had 5 washer nozzles just on his hood....but the more nozzles you use the less pressure each one will have, anyone know how to increase pump output? If you dont supply enough fresh water on a freshly mud splashed window and you try to clear them off you can easily screw up not only your wipers but your windshield as well with some of the small rocks and trail grit your scraping across your windshield.