Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My son's car - 1992 Legacy Wagon - starts fine in the cold. Cranks up and goes. When he comes home from school at lunch, he parks in the garage and an hour later when he gets ready to go back to school, his car has a difficult time starting. It stutters, the check engine light comes on and it takes almost a full minute of grinding to get it to catch. It's the2.2 mpfi and he knows better than to pump the gas, so what needs to be done? I m planning to swap out the spark plugs and air filter in a few minutes. What else?

My son's car - 1992 Legacy Wagon - starts fine in the cold. Cranks up and goes. When he comes home from school at lunch, he parks in the garage and an hour later when he gets ready to go back to school, his car has a difficult time starting. It stutters, the check engine light comes on and it takes almost a full minute of grinding to get it to catch. It's the2.2 mpfi and he knows better than to pump the gas, so what needs to be done? I m planning to swap out the spark plugs and air filter in a few minutes. What else?
Sounds also like the temprature sensor may be bad . . .and always telling the car that it is cold. . . This will cause the engine to use more fuel, and to idle high as well. . .

Is there a code stored when the CEL comes on?

If I remember correctly, someone in an earlier thread mentioned something about a lack of oxygen in cars parked in a heated, sealed garage. Is your garage heated ?? Does he park in it all the time or just at lunch time ??

Would heated really be the issue or the fact that it is well sealed ? Not sure... Never had a heated garage, or for that matter a well sealed garage... I miss my old drafty barn... NOT !