Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine and Trans Replacment Help

Bro

Hi All, I have just got my donor car 83Wagon. I will be transfering the Engine Gear Box, maybe rear diff and the lifter kit to my other wagon.

I am a total newbie at swapping major parts and would like some help on how to tackle the job. I have seen threads on engine and trans removal etc but not as a full job. Would it be a good time to do the lift kit when the engine and gearbox are out. In what order should I dismantle both wagons and then refit all bits ?

Any help ....suggestions muchly apprecieated...:)

Anyone ?

A little patience is in order. Today is a Sunday in the USA, and also a big sports day here (championship match for our version of football). You should get more response later tonight or tomorrow.

I don't have any really good advice for you, except I would suggest pulling the engine and transmissions as a unit, and installing them the same way. I am assuming same type of each in both cars.

I know nothing about lifts, but it may be slightly easier while engine/trans removed.

I've done a tranny swap on an 83 wagon and just finished an engine and tranny install in a Subaru Gl-10.

What I would do about the engine swap

I'd try to remove the engines and trannies as one.

I would try to do it in one day so I don't forget anything.

The lift... I believe you have to lower the engine crossmember and tranny crossmember. Therefore I'd pull the engine and tranny...set them aside and commence on the lift.

SOrry if I don't make any sense. I just had 12hours of work on my Subaru GL-10. (I did an engine reseal and tranny swap.)

I'm sure there's people with more/better advice.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

[HTi]Johnson

definitely pull the motor and trans together, that is a rocking way to do it. makes the job SUPER EASY!!

Engine Gear Box....does that include the engine or are you really just swapping the trans and gear box?

it's really nice working on the motor and trans out of the car. although the transmission can come out very quickly, i've had them out in like and hour before. motor takes longer to remove for me (unless you're doing a hack job and cutting all the wires, hoses and cables).

Sorry for my impatience I am just so keen to get going:banghead: didn't relize it was Sunday and a sport day.

It's the whole engine + gear box that's coming out of the donor car 83Wagon into MY81Wagon. I'm replacing my worn-out EA81 S/R with the donors EA81 D/R. The whole Engine Gearbox pull sounds the way to go. Id like to hear from someone who's done this before. Thx

edit Add: Can I pull the engine and gearbox as one through the engine bay or would it have to drop out ?

taking the motor and tranny may have an extreme angle to pull, i prefer to take the motor , then the tranny out the top.

if you are swapping platforms and you may want to do a lift at the same time, you can drop the entire front crossmembers including motor, trans, axles suspension and you are simply unbolting the entire front half of the car and swapping it over in one piece. all in all its less work than individuall pulling things, for the time it takes to swap a motor and trans you can swap the whole driveline, you wont even have to disconnect the exhaust from the motor!

all the mounting points will have to come down anyway to fit the lift, so you may as well swap the whole rig, or take it down, mix and mathc the parts you want on it, and install the whole thing as a unit

I would have to concur with Miles on this one. Drop the crossmembers from the engine and trans along with the struts. Get a couple of mates to assist you in rolling the body away from the drivetrain. Set it back into place and then add the lift. That way everything wil be loose and ready to add the lift. Besides, a little weight is good when trying to do the struts.

Good luck!

When I did it, I pulled the car not the motor :eek:

It took me 20 minutes to pull the motor, tranny, wheels tires, struts...out of my old EA-81. I left everything as a unit and removed the car! I simply cut the front of the car off and pulled the motor out the front :eek::eek:

When I installed it in the buggy I just placed the motor etc... on blocks and set the car down on top of the motor assembly. It was quick and easy for me?

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

I would have to concur with Miles on this one. Drop the crossmembers from the engine and trans along with the struts. Get a couple of mates to assist you in rolling the body away from the drivetrain. Set it back into place and then add the lift. That way everything wil be loose and ready to add the lift. Besides, a little weight is good when trying to do the struts.

Good luck!

Would you be able to elaborate on how this excatly is done. Please :D

I have no idea how or where to start :confused:

hmm i sense a write up...

anyway start by diconnecting all the hoses and electrical from the motor, throttle cable and what-not. disconnect the speedo cable, wiring, and clutch cable from the tranny. remove the anti-pitch bar

leave the exhaust mounted to the motor, and to the mount on the back of the trans. disconnect the rear half of the exhaust

then go in the car and disconnect the cables from the parking brake lever, take out the clips and shove the cables thru to the outside

drain any trans fluid and pull the driveshaft.

find a way to suspend the car by the body only. place a jack under the engine crossmember right on the luttle mini-skid plate under the steering rack

drop the 3 bolts on either side of the tranny crossmember, let it hang by its weight

with the jack supporting the engine crossmember, disconnect the brake lines from the body. leave all the tie rod and axles intact. undo the top of the struts from the strut tower. let them hang by theit own weight inside the fender.

now disconnect the steering shaft from the rack bt removing the pinch bolt on the splined part. now the crossmember is ready to drop, undo the 14mm nuts 2 on each side of the crossmember and let down the jack.

get the car off the ground and drag the assembly out, toss on a seat and a gas tank and drive the whole rig around!

Excellent....thanks for the write up

It sounds like it might take awhile. If I was going to just replace Engine + Gearbox and add the lift kit, would it be easy to hoist both through the engine bay as one unit or seperate ? I have a hoist but I have no way of supporting the body to try what you describe. I just want to pull both units from each wagon and swap. And while my wagon is engine and gearbox less I thought I would do the lift ? I might have to get someone do this for me :-\

If you pull the engine and tranny as a unit, you wont have to much work under the car. Just to remove the tranny x-member and linkage.

You might want to remove the engine/tranny in the car your putting the lift in first. Once they are out, go ahead with the removal of the other engine/tranny pull.

if you drop the whole frame out the bottom you can suspend the car body by the bumper with teh cherry picker, high enough to drag the frame out from underneath

it will get tight pulling the motor and trans together, you have to come up at a sharp angle to get it out. remove the starter if so, you may have to jack the car up enough that the motor/trans can stand at a 45 deg angle to clear the body as it comes out