Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Man, the STi's not really a logical buy so I don't know if it's worth considering pros and cons... if you want one and can swing it, go for it. Toys are rarely regretted! That said:

Pros -

WHEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Great scooby community

Cons -

Noisy

Stiff ride

Premium fuel

Insurance costs

Attention from cops (helps to remove rear wing)

Attention from punk kids

Generally poor dealership support

Replacing tires

Becoming addicted to modifications

etc

PS- Did I mention WHEEE!!!

Man, the STi's not really a logical buy so I don't know if it's worth considering pros and cons... if you want one and can swing it, go for it. Toys are rarely regretted! That said:

Pros -

WHEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Great scooby community

Cons -

Noisy

Stiff ride

Premium fuel

Insurance costs

Attention from cops (helps to remove rear wing)

Attention from punk kids

Generally poor dealership support

Replacing tires

Becoming addicted to modifications

etc

PS- Did I mention WHEEE!!!

If the STI is not the most logical....would it better just to buy a WRX and then do some mods to it??

If the STI is not the most logical....would it better just to buy a WRX and then do some mods to it??

You're going to spend a lot of money to get a WRX to the performance AND RELIABILITY (not to mention warranty coverage) of an STi.

Have you ever had a turbo AWD performance car before? They take awhile to learn to drive, and some people just plain don't like them. Make sure you drive a few WRX's (as they'll probably be easier to convince the dealer to let you take them out) to see if you like them first. If you do, but find it a bit utilitarian, THEN check out the STi.

Don't overlook the Forester XT if you're mainly looking to go fast. The XT is slightly quicker than the WRX, much nicer interior and option availability, MUCH LESS turbo lag due to 2.5 litre engine, and easier to get to the performance levels of the STi if you really need it. Factor in the difference in insurance prices and the amount of attention you get from the cops also.