Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Horsepower in a bottle!

I saw a show on speed the other day, they were advertising a new additive called EXP4 they have a fuel and a oil additive. They were claiming about a 5% power increase and it showed on the dyno. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if not if someone with access to a dyno or a Gtech pro could check this product out for us? http://www.exp4additives.com/

Thanks!

Put my name on the BS list too. First off, you're talking about a TV comercial - you can work wonders on TV and make it all look totally legit.

Secondly, be careful of additives in general. There are a few out there that are good longterm preventative maintenance tools (like MMO or Lukas), but a lot of them claim to do way too much than is possible and you might as well use your $$ to do some real work on your motor (or drink a few bevies and watch the superbowl). I guess what I'm saying is take these miracle claims with a grain of salt (and enjoy a few bevies on a Sunday afternoon:drunk: ).

http://www.importdesigns.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=view_tech_article&tech_article_id=4Not the end all be all explaination but a good primer on how easy it is to fake dyno results to show an intake, chemical or other add on as being "Dyno Proven"

Oh....I know it's easy. I just wanted to see/read about the show and their results. I'd mainly be interested in an average Joe's result at the track or dyno.

It wasn't a tv commercial, I saw it on Sports Car Revolution on the Speed channel. Mainly the oil additive was the key by lowering the internal friction. Ya know this sounds like a retarded and outlandish claim but thats why I wanted someone with either a dyno or a gtech pro to check it out with true non-fudged numbers! You can purchase it from the site listed in the first listing. Let us know whats up. Now all we need is a guinea pig if nothing your out 12 bucks. I'd do it if i had the equipment. Good luck

I don't know what this stuff was purporting to change in the makeup of the fuel, but consider this for a moment:

You have at least 11 gallons of fuel in your full tank of gas (more in most cars) and you add in a pint bottle of something to affect the quality of the fuel. That would mean, then, that you are diluting out whatever you are adding by a ratio of at least 88:1.

Now, when you add some sort of octane booster to gasoline, to calculate your new octane level you generally take the octane of the fuel that you start with, and add in the volume and octane of what you are adding to it, and then average it out to figure out the average octane of the total mixture. For example:

Lets say you have 7 gallons of 92 octane gas and you add in 3 gallons of 104 octane race gas to give your finely tuned turbo car a little more umph on the dragstrip. So:

[(7 @ 92 octane) + (3 @ 104 octane)] / 10 gallons = average octane

[(7*92)+(3*104)]/10

[(644)+(312)]/10

[956]/10

95.6 = average octane of the fuel mix

So adding 3 whole gallons of 104 octane only raises the overall average octane by 3.6 points. Therefore, in order for a pint of whatever you were adding to have any appreciable effect on combustion, it would have to be some seriously potent stuff. To raise the octane of your 11 gallon tankful by as much as just one gallon of 104 octane, it would itself need to have an octane level in the thousands. I can't imagine a pint of much of anything raising the overall octane by more than .1 point, taking your tankful from 92 octane to 92.1.

***EXCEPTION TO THE RULE***

Adding a concentrated solution of Tetraethyl Lead to unleaded gasoline will have a dramatic effect on the unleaded's octane, and it can increase a fuel's octane rating a lot, even in comparatively small quantities. This is happens for two reasons. First of all, tetraethyl lead is just that good of an octane booster. Secondly, the combination of the lead with the compounds they use in unleaded to boost octane makes the two of them work better to boost octane than either one is capable of on its own.

Unless your infomercial was for gallon jugs of tetraethyl lead, I think it's bogus.

- Freed

OK, update.

I went to the website, and took a look at the MSDS on the additives. It looks to be about the same stuff as the Chevron Techron additive (a polyether amine). It probably won't hurt your car, and may clean things out nicely, but Techron in a bottle is probably just as good and most likely cheaper to boot.

- Freed

Looks like another BS product to me....like that Prolong junk or zmax bs.

hey, that Prolong stuff works! Added some to my 87 hatch (first soob *sniffle*) and you could see the difference on the end of the dipstick (could feel it too) dunno if it helped the internals any, but hey any reduction of friction at start up time is fine by me!