Ultimate Subaru Message Board

amsoil oil , question

i am thinking about using it , 5.75 a quart , will it leak more since my 88 dl 4wd wagon does drip alittle ? and they say you can go 5,000mi between oil changes , will i notice anything right off ? or will it take a few oil changes ? like better mpg ? sound better etc.. i know about the oil test thing and oil filter, i have wix filters ,

I switched on my '91 legacy at around 120K. No noticable change or problems with leaking. I did it just so I could increase the oil change interval (I had been changing the oil every 2K which was about every two weeks). You can shop around for a better deal; I'm paying $4.95 a quart since I buy it by the case. I'm even thinking of becoming an Amsoil "dealer" just to get a better price on it. ---ed---

i am thinking about using it , 5.75 a quart , will it leak more since my 88 dl 4wd wagon does drip alittle ? and they say you can go 5,000mi between oil changes , will i notice anything right off ? or will it take a few oil changes ? like better mpg ? sound better etc.. i know about the oil test thing and oil filter, i have wix filters ,

Generally, any synthetic oil will be more prone to leaks than a natural oil, but not extremely so. I would not expect your oil consumption to spike.

That said, you will notice fewer oil changes, but I seriously doubt improved performance.

It will also appear to use more oil because you will a) be paying more for it, and B) you will have longer runs between oil changes for it to "use" oil.

I know for a fact that Royal Purple works. My friend Eric used to own a '98 Grand Am GT(3.1L V6). Before he changed over to Royal Purple, he was using Castrol Syntec. We recorded his MPG with the Castrol and then when it was time to change the oil, we changed it over to Royal Purple, and proceeded with our little study. He got between 3-4MPG(not a huge gain, but a gain nonetheless) better w/ RP than he was w/CS. In my opinion, Royal Purple, although a little on the steep side, is worth the money.

Patrick

amsoil says all that crap about a 7500 mile oil change. but if you look in most owners manuals, it will say something around 7k miles between changes. unless its gettin stressed, then its around 3k.

mobil1 its factory in several high performance vehicles. and its $18.88, for 5 quart jugs at walmart. cant realy go wrong there.

and change at 3k, cuz im sure everyone is runing their ru in extreme conditions, as far as subaru is concerned....

I know for a fact that Royal Purple works.

I just switched to Royal Purple in my Impreza after winning a free case from Subiesport magazine, *cha-ching* youv'e gotta love that price...

So far so good. Funny, after I changed the oil, I was at the gas station attendant asked If I wanted my oil checked. I said what the hell.

He reported back "dude, your oil is like purple" :lol:

garner

amsoil actually has a 25000 mile oil, you get thier filters and change just the filters at 12k and topp it off, if needed. the shop i worked a had a rep from amsoil come around once or twice amonth, their truck had 270000 miles on it and like 10 oil changes. i wouldnt let it go that long between changes, i used their 7500 mile oil and changed it at5k when i had the money to use it.

amsoil actually has a 25000 mile oil, you get thier filters and change just the filters at 12k and topp it off, if needed. the shop i worked a had a rep from amsoil come around once or twice amonth, their truck had 270000 miles on it and like 10 oil changes. i wouldnt let it go that long between changes, i used their 7500 mile oil and changed it at5k when i had the money to use it.
It's not just the oil they use to get that kind of mileage between oil changes. Amsoil also recommends that you use their oil By-pass and air filter system, similar to the systems used on big trucks and heavy equipment. I operate heavy machinery and they change oil every 200-250 hours and that's using Dino oil. Now these machines run wide open most of the time in far more dust and dirt, than the average auto does. So how far could you travel with your foot on the floor in 200 hours? Like I said before, if you can keep the oil clean, it will last alot longer than 3000 miles.

exactly

It's not just the oil they use to get that kind of mileage between oil changes. Amsoil also recommends that you use their oil By-pass and air filter system, similar to the systems used on big trucks and heavy equipment. I operate heavy machinery and they change oil every 200-250 hours and that's using Dino oil. Now these machines run wide open most of the time in far more dust and dirt, than the average auto does. So how far could you travel with your foot on the floor in 200 hours? Like I said before, if can keep the oil clean, it will last alot longer than 3000 miles.

Changing filter.....

As I have never tried this without changing oil as well, how does it work? Doesn't oil drain out? Do you just have to be quick putting the new one on?

Back on topic. Mobil 1 is good synthetic. Wal-Mart is probably the cheapest place to get it. AMSOIL is better IMO, but costs more. Then climbing up the dollar tree you have RedLine and Royal Purple.

Mobil 1 and AMSOIL filters are great. Much better than cheap-o ones. Does anyone know of an "oversized" Mobil 1 filter for EA82?

And for all those who don't need to spend over $5 a quart, there is Castrol Synthetic Blend ... no probs this far, and I know someone that got over 260k on their loyale running Castrol natural and changing it every 3,000 - ran like new too when he sold it

Mobil 1 is not a cheap oil, I have pulled the valve cover on an engine with 210k to adjust the valves, and it was so clean it looked like you could eat off the inside of it. That's running 10k btwn changes with a fram filter

After consulting a petroleum expert that was a consultant for mobil oil company - chemical breakdowns occur no matter what - you can't go indefinately or extended periods without decay - oil must be changed

Frankly if I knew an engine had more than 10k between oil changes and was not running Mobil 1 or better - I would not touch it - and even then I think even synthetics need to be changed at least every 7.5k

Changing filter.....

As I have never tried this without changing oil as well, how does it work? Doesn't oil drain out? Do you just have to be quick putting the new one on?

Back on topic. Mobil 1 is good synthetic. Wal-Mart is probably the cheapest place to get it. AMSOIL is better IMO, but costs more. Then climbing up the dollar tree you have RedLine and Royal Purple.

Mobil 1 and AMSOIL filters are great. Much better than cheap-o ones. Does anyone know of an "oversized" Mobil 1 filter for EA82?

Just a bit leaks out from the where you unscrew the filter. The majority of your oil is below that point in the oil pan. It will stay in there :) Simply swap filters and you are set. I would recomend 'priming' the new filter by poring some fresh oil in there and letting it soak in then topping off the filter and installing it. This ensures quicker oil pressure on start up with a new filter.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

Everyone click it, I got the link from another of my car sites. It is an ongoing study of synthetic oil complete with oil analyses (sp? that doesn't look like the plural of analysis :confused: ) Great info. I haven't checked it in about 7 months, glad to see it's still going. It was one of the things that convinced me to go pure synthetic.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

Everyone click it, I got the link from another of my car sites. It is an ongoing study of synthetic oil complete with oil analyses (sp? that doesn't look like the plural of analysis :confused: ) Great info. I haven't checked it in about 7 months, glad to see it's still going. It was one of the things that convinced me to go pure synthetic.

That's fascinating! I'm definitely going to keep watching that.

Hey I am an Amsoil /Torco dealer and I can help.

First off... Where is the oil leak at??? Best if to find the oiling problem first. If the engine is clean, it is possible piston ring problem or internal problems.

But if you see oil out side of the engine it can be gasket problems or seal problems.

First off Lets find the oiling problem, fix it than put what ever oil you want in it because synthetic oil is the best. :headbang:

I build engines from Tractor Trucks to two stroke race engines. And I know what a good oil will do for you.

Plus I drive 5 days a week 168 miles a day

:banghead::banghead: Just to do business