Ultimate Subaru Message Board

amsoil oil , question

I would change the ol' Draggin' Wagon over to sythetic, but I change the oil so often, I couldn't bear the financial burden that comes with sythetic oil. Instead, I use natural Kendall 10W40 oil, sometimes I use a quart of Rislone, Lucas Oil Stabilizer, and WIX oil filters at oil change time. I change the oil every 700-800 miles because I do alot of stop and go driving and I am kinda hard on it around town, but whenever I ask for more power, it delivers every time. So I do what I can to keep it happy and running well.

I would change the ol' Draggin' Wagon over to sythetic, but I change the oil so often, I couldn't bear the financial burden that comes with sythetic oil. Instead, I use natural Kendall 10W40 oil, sometimes I use a quart of Rislone, Lucas Oil Stabilizer, and WIX oil filters at oil change time. I change the oil every 700-800 miles because I do alot of stop and go driving and I am kinda hard on it around town, but whenever I ask for more power, it delivers every time. So I do what I can to keep it happy and running well.

Unless you are running Alcohol or methenol for fuel, you wasting good oil. It would make more sense just to change the filter at that low of mileage and top the oil off. you could go on for ever without any worries.

Yeah I could. But I'm trying to keep this thing running for many more years to come without having to do an engine overhaul in the near future. I guess this could also be due to the lack of maintanence by person that owned it before I did. When I first bought the car, I had to do an oil change. Then I checked things like the brakes(which needed to be changed quite desperately), CV axles(which needed servicing), Gear oil(which also needed to be changed), belts(which needed to be changed), etc. That is probably the biggest reason that I do what I can to keep up the maintanence on it, and yes it might be rather neurotic, but better safe than sorry.

Yeah I just finished reading it. That study was pretty interesting. I am assuming that you are refering to the part about people who use regular oil probably change their oil 40% too early. I don't know if I'll ever switch my GL-10 over to synthetic oil. I might if I get another EA82T engine for it(mainly because it will have all the bells and whistles). But my WRX wagon on the other hand, will be getting a nice dosage of Royal Purple in the next couple of weeks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you keep the oil clean by filtering, it dosn't matter which oil you use Dino or Syn. The oil will still do it's job long after you are changing yours.

I think you forgot your chemistry.

Oil will decay on the molecular level, depositing nasty stuff in your engine. Synthetic decays slower than dino, so it will last longer, but not indefinately. Some engines are designed to keep the oil cool enough that decay is VERY slow (Rolls-Royce). Subaru engines are not one of those. You HAVE to change your oil regularly or else you WILL sludge up your engine. Also keep in mind that the tighter your filtration, the more strain on your oil pump, which means less delivery.

Thanks Jim,

I wanted to try this so I

made a special trip to the

napa store.

I ask the for "napa sylic"

Guy must have been new as he said he never heard of it??

Maybe it was backordered?

Or do they only sell this in Ohio?

I hate to thread jack, but I have got a question for anyone that can answer it. I talked to my wife, and she thinks that changing over to synthetic would be a good idea since my car will not be driven(well except maybe around the block) for almost 4 years. My parents will be taking care of it while we're in Okinawa and will be starting it up and driving it down the street and back so that the tires won't get flat spots. But anyway, well this is where my question begins. I know that you have to flush the engine when changing over from dino to synthetic, but from everything that I have read, it always says not to use engine flush on a turbocharged motor as it will risk damaging the bearings in the turbocharger. So what is the process that I have to go through to change the oil over from dino to sythetic as I am kind of confused since I have an EA82T?

Thanks Jim,

I wanted to try this so I

made a special trip to the

napa store.

I ask the for "napa sylic"

Guy must have been new as he said he never heard of it??

Maybe it was backordered?

Or do they only sell this in Ohio?

dam gary why you gotta be so hard on jim for? not everyone is a super secret government agent:rolleyes:. very unbecoming of a MODERATOR.

napa is a nation wide store, you knew that. dont hold yourself so high, put others down.

are you coming to our next alliance meet? jim says he really wants to meet you, "miles and skip are father and son"

dont make me run you off the board again

Donald,

Why thank you for the compliment.

You are quite the comedian.

It is no more than a feeble attempt to

get people to proof read what they post.

I realize some people are too good for this,

showing they have little consideration for the readers.

These select few

would rather let the person reading figure it out.

Sorry if it hits close to home.

I hate to thread jack, but I have got a question for anyone that can answer it. I talked to my wife, and she thinks that changing over to synthetic would be a good idea since my car will not be driven(well except maybe around the block) for almost 4 years. My parents will be taking care of it while we're in Okinawa and will be starting it up and driving it down the street and back so that the tires won't get flat spots. But anyway, well this is where my question begins. I know that you have to flush the engine when changing over from dino to synthetic, but from everything that I have read, it always says not to use engine flush on a turbocharged motor as it will risk damaging the bearings in the turbocharger. So what is the process that I have to go through to change the oil over from dino to sythetic as I am kind of confused since I have an EA82T?

Not to be impatient or anything, but I could still use some guidance in this department. HELP PLEASE!!!

you can run syn with conventional all you want. it says on every bottle, "compatable with conventional oils"

if i cant find mobil1, i have topped off with castrol with no worries, or problems.

canging oil 700-800 miles is crazy. 3000 miles is waht is recommended for severe/extreme duty use. youd be good for flood conditions with 7-8 hundred.

Donald,

Why thank you for the compliment.

You are quite the comedian..

yeah its funny you should hear the jokes

It is no more than a feeble attempt to

get people to proof read what they post..

hey my typing is worse but it still gets to the point

I realize some people are too good for this,

showing they have little consideration for the readers.

consideration for the reader doesnt involve dismissing their comment over a typo. what was posted is more important than how its typed, that is what the readers are here for

These select few

would rather let the person reading figure it out.

Sorry if it hits close to home.

if its not worth replying to then dont. hot close to home waht? get off it. and tyeah i see the typo but i dont feel like correctin g it