Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dual range into a 95 AWD?

superu

So i got a mudrat tube bumper on my 95 legacy this x-mas...

Talking to John (and I hope he replies as well as others) what all would it take to convert my 95 legacy L 2.2 liter, AWD to 4x4 with low range.

I'm not super familiar with all the ea, ej, lingo of subaru-dom, but i'm learning...

I assume this conversion would make it a FWD when not in 4 wheel drive...

John, i know we spoke briefly and you can do it, but when you were running over it with me at 11/30 PM, you were kinda speaking a little french to me...

I understand my AWD is controlled by the tranny, so to get low range i'd need another tranny (i think you said from a late 80's car), and some adapter plate for old tranny to new engine.

Could i keep my stage 2 cluth (since i spent a fortune on it ;)

Has anyone else done this duel range conversion on a 95+ roo? Do ya have pix?

(working on adding the evolution of my project superu to the site... i've got some stock ones up now with more coming...)

using a EA series tranny to move a 3400 pound car could be detrimental to the tranny unless you had it like cryo'd or something, not meant for 140 horses, but what am i saying, im doing the same darn thing. :brow: i say go for it because that owuld be awesome to see a newer legacy off road whoppin up roosters and stuff. is your current tranny a stick? if its a auto gonna have to jumper a wire from ecu to tcu to tell ecu its a MT. at least i think so.................but i say go for it man, just make sure oyu got a back up daily driver.

~Josh~

Josh...

Its a stick and my daily driver :(

But there might be an 80 brat on the horizon to tootle around town in...

my landlord's got one i think he's gunna donate to me.. I just need to find a next-to-free way of getting it running... hmmm...

Noah... so is the RX tranny, when center locked effectively a 4x4 (like those silly spitefull trucks), just with not as hip of a low range?

is the 1.19 the low range or the 4by gearing for all 4?

I'm not too hip with the RX, or most of the subie lingo for that matter.. I'm actually a subie newbie with this legacy... though i've already made a pretty unique one out of it B)

Anyhoo, i'm interested in the dual rnage, but as a student and not rolling in the money.... as you can imagine, already took a mega hit with the stage 2 clutch, outback struts, intake, exhaust and bumper...

But it is damn fun!!

BTW, are you the josh and noah i emailed pix to?