Ultimate Subaru Message Board

dual range coversion for an AWD '95 legacy

superu

I put this in the retrofitting string too...

So i got a mudrat tube bumper on my 95 legacy this x-mas...

Talking to John (and I hope he replies as well as others) what all would it take to convert my 95 legacy L 2.2 liter, AWD to 4x4 with low range.

I'm not super familiar with all the ea (older engines, gen 1 and 2?), ej (newer enjines, 2, 2.2, and 2.5 liter?), lingo of subaru-dom, but i'm learning...

I assume this conversion would make it a Front drive when not in 4 wheel drive...

John, i know we spoke briefly and you can do it, but when you were running over it with me at 11.30 PM, it was going in one ear and out the other...

I understand my AWD is controlled by the tranny, so to get low range i'd need another tranny (i think you said from a late 80's car), and some adapter plate for old tranny to new engine.

Could i keep my stage 2 cluth (since i spent a fortune on it ;)

Has anyone else done this duel range conversion on a 95+ roo? Do ya have pix?

(working on adding the evolution of my project superu to the site... i've got some stock ones up now with more coming...)

Lemme know, ooh great wealth of surabu wisdom here in!

im sure more people who know more will chime in. but afaik, theres is not even one legacy runing around north america, with a dual range tranny.

there are a few late 80s subarus runing around with an ej22/legacy engine.

so its a dual range from the 80s subaru, with the ej22 bolted together.

you gotta have dual range for off roadin! =]

i think i know the answer to your clutch question. but i'll let someone, who knows for sure answer that one.

You moght have to do away with the awd, but I bet a tranny from an ea81 or ea 82 car would work. I know I have raed about guys putting the legacy engine in a ea81/82 cars. could be interesting, somthing i would like to attempt if i had the $$$, and a Legacy

Ok Here is the Low down on Doing the Duel Range swap into your Legacy Sedan.....

You will need a Hi-Lo 5 speed out of an 85-90 Non-Turbo GL Wagon....Converted to Turbo axle stubs in the final drive to Mate to your factory Legacy Axles.....This Gives you 3:90 gearing with the right stubs.....

My Adapter Plate Which Comes with a Custom Done Flywheel, Meaning you Lose the stage 2 ....:(

You will Lose AWD ability, meaning you become front Wheel drive and Locked in 4WD....

Now hear is the part you didn't hear So well in Burn Out mode that nite in the Garage.....

I can Have one of these Hi-Lo trannies Gone through And have the Turbo stubs added into it as well as a Phantom Grip LSD.....

This will give you 2 tires spinning in Front wheel drive Mode and 3 in 4WD mode in slimy/slippery conditions.....

Add an LSD in the rear Diff, and in snow, ice , or Mud you can potentially have all 4 Locked up and Working for you....:)

To do this Trans Overhaul your Looking at about 750.00 But it will be Fresh, and Have LSD ,And as a package Deal with the Adapter Kit, I'd Do it for 1000.00

You'll Be the First......or Maybe second if I get the Local Forester Done first...:)

Let me know......John

P.S. I got your Package thanks.... :drunk:

And My newest Cell # is in My sig here at the bottom......

Ok Here is the Low down on Doing the Duel Range swap into your Legacy Sedan.....

You will need a Hi-Lo 5 speed out of an 85-90 Non-Turbo GL Wagon....Converted to Turbo axle stubs in the final drive to Mate to your factory Legacy Axles.....This Gives you 3:90 gearing with the right stubs.....

My Adapter Plate Which Comes with a Custom Done Flywheel, Meaning you Lose the stage 2 ....:(

You will Lose AWD ability, meaning you become front Wheel drive and Locked in 4WD....

Now hear is the part you didn't hear So well in Burn Out mode that nite in the Garage.....

I can Have one of these Hi-Lo trannies Gone through And have the Turbo stubs added into it as well as a Phantom Grip LSD.....

This will give you 2 tires spinning in Front wheel drive Mode and 3 in 4WD mode in slimy/slippery conditions.....

Add an LSD in the rear Diff, and in snow, ice , or Mud you can potentially have all 4 Locked up and Working for you....:)

To do this Trans Overhaul your Looking at about 750.00 But it will be Fresh, and Have LSD ,And as a package Deal with the Adapter Kit, I'd Do it for 1000.00

You'll Be the First......or Maybe second if I get the Local Forester Done first...:)

Let me know......John

P.S. I got your Package thanks.... :drunk:

And My newest Cell # is in My sig here at the bottom......

This is my first post to this board! I currently have an airboat with an EA 81 blown engine. I would like to repower with an EJ22 series from a donor car. I need an adapter to adapt the EJ 22 engine to my belt reduction case, EA 81 transmission pattern, 84-85 GL-DL. I won't need a flywheel as I have what is needed. Where can I get the adapter? Help please, need to get the airboat up and running before warm weather. Again, the adapter plate is all I'm lacking. If anyone could steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Email me at jeanie_home_1@hotmail.com with the details. Many thanks in advance for alll your expert help. I look forward to reading the message boards here for more Subaru info.

• 2 weeks later...
Mudrat has just started the process to put a dual-range in my forester. In a few weeks we should have it complete. Keep an eye out for it.

OOoohh man!! I'm stoked to see how this turns out!!

What'll your final gearing be 1:52?

ooooooooooooooo, gotta go now. . . .

OOoohh man!! I'm stoked to see how this turns out!!

What'll your final gearing be 1:52?

ooooooooooooooo, gotta go now. . . .

yeah I think the 5-speed dual range is 1:52. but have to switch from 4.11 diff to a 3.90. So I'm not sure how much lower it's going to be. It will be the first US spec forester with a low range.