Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea71 engine improvement

hello to all of you subaru fanatics, my name is alex i'm new here so if my questions are dum never mynd.

i'm from Israel ,driving a 1988 dl sedan ea 71 motor manual tranny.

i was wandering if you have some tips how to add some more power to it.

and another one, i can't find anyware an original body kit for the dl maby you can guide me to a website ore something, here it's a rear thing beacouse not many models were sold liek that.

:) welcome.

I would like to assume that you mean "hop-up" modifications and that your EA71 is carbureted. I'd like to know those answers, too.

My 1980 1600 cc has much more power now than when I bought it. In the dark the spark plug wires GLOWED all over the place and also I made the mistake of putting in some used dual platinum spark plugs. They looked great, but were addding greatly to the resistance. Champion has a copper core spark on sale now for 1 $ and they, along with new wires cap and rotor and coil wire, have increased performance.

ByTheWay, i'm measuring performance by low end torque, not high revs. My stick shift really lugs well. When i upshift the car accelerates as tho it had a larger engine. A small roots supercharger would be cool. could use stock carb and exhaust.(but it would protrude)

ahh late model ea71 sounds familiar..Had one of them in my wagon I tried every small change power booster..open element air filter, advanced timing (12-14 degrees BTDC seemed safe on our gas) cut cat out, higher energy coil..it did make a good difference especially the open element filter and the advanced timing...But the biggest power booster I made to my car was tossing out the pushrod ea71 in favor of an ea82..I lost that nice low end torque of the pushrod engine..not too much but a loss still, but gained MUCHO MUCHO in the upper end..rev it to the redline (ok I know you don't have a tachometer..LOL) at gear change real easy and delivers power all the way..something an ea71 just can't do...

thank's for the tips, my problem is that all kind of change that i make in the car has to be in the limits of the low, i mean at anual test that the car need's to pass.

does'nt an advanst timing changes the co2 outgoing from the exhoust?

i know about a posibility to hook up both barells to work together , have somebody done something like that?

now i'm using denso spark plugs the wires also been changed not something familier. about the coil it is probably a stock , wich one cane i use instead?

about the body kit i dont thnk that rx models were sold here, i know about two doors models but they came with no body kits, maby there are some especialy deliverd cars.i was wandering about ordeing in from the states , i've hered peaple ordering parts from a jank yard true the net.

to cange the engine wile be to expensive fore me , it has been changed actually by the preveouse owner. the car was originally with 1300 cc engine.