Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 GL Auto Trans- Won't Shift

I resurrected a one owner, 37,000 mile 85 GL that sat for about 18 months. The car started and ran well with a new battery so I moved it from behind an old shed to the driveway. Usual cleanup included removing a lot of old debris from leaves, mice, in the engine compartment around the spare area. One day later we were going to move the car but when putting it into D or R it does not engage at all. I have no manual or info on this car but assume I may have disturbed the shift linkage when moving it from behind the shed. Any ideas, or pix of the shifter assembly or how best to troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gus

And if there is ATF, what color does it look like? Maybe the governor is in need of a cleaning? It's in the repair section of USMB (http://www.usmb.net/repair/?CurrentDirectory=FOLDER_3f29b58f50d9b8.15492800/&FileType=Article&File=ARTICLE_3f57fdb83de231.34713659.art)

Good luck, keep us posted.

Oh yeah welcome to the board...:drunk:

[HTi]Johnson

I know with a manual trans an easy unstick it putting it in first then rolling the car. I don't think that would be wise with either trans, but it is a quick fix for stuck linkage.

If you do try this and it doesn't work than an eye inspection while the trans is being shifted should shows the problem (two man job, be careful).