Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 brat with fan problems

my electric fan won't turn on. i've checked the fan and it works. i've also tested the harness connecting the fan and it has power but no ground (is this triggered by the thermoswitch?). the ground to the radiator is good, and so is the ground i found screwed under the battery shelf. when i ran a ground straight to the fan the other fan came on. i thought i could have a relay problem but i've been told it doesn't have a fan relay. i guess the only thing left to do is replace the thermoswitch. any suggestions before i go out and order one.

Couple things about that - if you do the switch method sugested by "dj72", you should put in a fuse, and a relay would be good so you don't have to use a huge switch and wire. Also - you should wire in the thermoswitch so it can also have a say in when the fan comes on. If the engine isn't allowed to cool itself when IT wants, your asking for trouble. Headgaskets (and worse - cracked heads) are not what your looking for if I had to guess. The temp guages on the dash are next to worthless, as they seem to be inaccurate, or simply fail often.

GD

thanks for the info, i tried to put it on a switch till i fixed it the right way but when i wired it up the other fan turned on and would not shut off. not sure why that is but i'll get a new thermoswitch and see what happens. i've had the brat for over 10 years and never had a problem with anything before so hopefully this will fix it for another 10, or till she rusts away. thanks again.