Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear defroster repair/Headlight upgrade

Hi Folks,

I have a 2001 Legacy outback wagon.

Approx. the middle third of the rear window defroster is not working. Is there a DIY repair? I've seen a repair kit in J.C. Whitney for this repair. Just wonder if anyone has tried to repair the defroster.

Also has anyone upgraded the bulbs in their headlights. I just want to switch bulbs not the whole headlight assembly. Any suggestions.

Thanks for your input.

Walt :-\

Lots of choices on bulbs. Without looking, I don't know which bulb yours takes.

You can get ones like Sylvania ExtraVision (I think that is the name) or SilverStars. A lot of people have been pleased with these. If you want to get bolder, you can increase the wattage. (Note - for offroad use only. :) )

Try something like the SilverStars (or similar) first. Then go from there.

Commuter

I used to use the silverstars, but i only got 8 months out of the bulbs because the life is only 150 hours, and 35 bucks a pair is kinda pricey. The problem is compounded by the fact that the low-beam is on all the time because of the daytime running lights. Nevertheless it was substantially brighter at night!

Hi Folks,

I have a 2001 Legacy outback wagon.

Approx. the middle third of the rear window defroster is not working. Is there a DIY repair? I've seen a repair kit in J.C. Whitney for this repair. Just wonder if anyone has tried to repair the defroster.

Also has anyone upgraded the bulbs in their headlights. I just want to switch bulbs not the whole headlight assembly. Any suggestions.

Thanks for your input.

Walt :-\

Most parts stores (AutoZone, Advanced Auto, etc.) sell a rear defroster grid line repair kit. It's basically a tiny (expensive) bottle of electro-conductive paint that matches the color of the grid lines. I've used this stuff, and it works very well. Just use a test lamp to find the break in the grid line and apply the repair material per the instructions.