Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Drive Belt/Timing Belt same or different?

Hi All,

Is there a difference between a drive belt and a timing belt? The drive belt was just replaced in my '97 Impreza Outback before I bought it. From my understanding timing belts have to be changed regularly on '97 models onward because of an interferance engine. Are these two belts one in the same or different? cuz if they're different I'm going to have to find out when the timing belt was last done....

Thanks,

Urban Coyote

Uhg, sorry about that, it's a 2.2L engine.

Originally I thought a drive belt and timing belt were the same, but after a little more research on this board I came to doubt that that was the case. I knew that the dealer I bought the car from replaced the drive belt and after reading a maintenance schedule that mentioned drive and camshaft belts (but no timing belt) I was totally confused! Which belt was actually replaced on my car and what/where is the timing belt? I think I have it straight now….drive belt is the one you see when you open the hood and runs the water pump and altinater, and camshaft/timing belt is in the engine? Please bear with me….I’ve been trying to learn as much about cars and how they run as possible, but it’s definitely a learning curve! I can appreciate the saying “Don’t blow a gasket” now though *lol*

Ok, so I did a bunch of calling around and found the Subaru dealer that serviced my car with it’s previous owner. Seems it went in for it’s 96000km servicing and had the timing/camshaft belt done…and since the dealer I bought it from did the drive belt I should be all set for a while :D

Now that I have a great running and looking car I have to decide what fun things to do with it ;)

Urban Coyote

• 10 months later...

Glad to hear the belts were changed on time. I hate when I buy a used car and the seller/dealer leaves me having to guess which items have been maintained or not. "uh, yeah, um, I think my ex-wife said she got that done......there um, might be some repair receipts in the glove box...." Crikey. So, to make the world a better place, I keep a spreadsheet of all work done on my car including mileage, date, cost, symptoms, yadda, yadda. And I hand the spreadsheet to the buyer when I sell my used car. Lemme tellya, if the buyer knows anything about cars, his eyes light up and he really appreciates the spreadsheet!

• 2 weeks later...
97+ are interference....60k intervals, although there is a 100k timing belt. The timing belt is not "in" the engine. It is behind the belts you can see, under the plastic cover. it is covered as to not get any debris in it, since it is very important.

I believe the EJ22 engine (2.2L going back to 1990 or so) is also interferance. I just changed one and I'm sure there was interference when I rotated the cam pully by hand.

You don't want one of these to break on you.