Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82, '88 DL Wagon, & highway performance

I'm trying to figure out if something is wrong with my engine, or if I'm just not used to a somewhat underpowered vehicle.

Merging onto the highway, I usually end up doing 50mph or so at the end of the ramp, less if it's uphill (there's one particular ramp I'm lucky to be doing 40 at the top of).

It takes something resembling an eternity to get up to cruising speed, in the 20+ second range. Cruising is 70mph or so.

In 5th gear, on a good highway hill, I have to hold WOT to maintain 75mph.

Is this normal, or should I be investigating my engine and related parts for some sort of blockage?

-=Russ=-

Planning to do some tuneup stuff this weekend. It could use new plugs/wires/timing belts. I'm a bit afraid to wind it up really tight because I know the timing belts are old. The driver's side belt especially.

I'm getting better at holding it in a gear until high RPMs. My other car is a rotary, and it winds up to 7k-8k before complaining (actually, before fuel cut). I'm not used to a piston engine enjoying being wound out. I'll try holding 3rd to 55 sometime and see if it helps.

I'm sort of planning to punch out/remove the cats and see how much I gain there. How does a straight piped Subaru sound?

-=Russ=-

that is pretty much the standard for the EA82 or EA81's not alot of power to be expected from them, if you do the spfi swap you will nab about an extra 10 horse and be a little better to drive, but sounds like just plain jane old school slow-bie.

~Josh~

shift at a piont where the rpms land around 3500 in the next gear, dont be afraid to take it to 4500 between shifts. subarus have a short throw crank and the power comes on between 3000 and 4000 rpm

if you are shifting at like 2-2500 rom the motor will just not touch its powerband

one example is baja'n in mud. to the floor at 25oo and nothing exciting, bog bog bog. but if you can bog your way up to 3-3500 rpm in the same mud the tachometer takes off like a roket

anyway i make laps in the field all day at 5500 rpms and the mtor doesnt complain

i coudl agree with not wanting to break the old timing belt. you can get the rpms up and be ok just be gradual

How much does advancing the timing help? I'm planning to do a "European timing set" once I do the tuneup... advance timing until it pings, then back off a bit.

I also just discovered that my left rear shock has apparently lost pressure, and is sagging quite a bit. *annoyed* They're pressurized rear shocks, right?

-=Russ=-

I run my wagon advanced and it makes a differance. I brought the car in for a clutch and tune up last summer and they set the timing to specs. I turned around withing 5 blocks and went back, borrowed a socket and advanced the distrib up a little. Much happier. :) (now if I ever see that kid on his bicycle that beat me off the light I'm goning to smoke him) :)

(now if I ever see that kid on his bicycle that beat me off the light I'm goning to smoke him) :)

Hehe...sounds like one of my sister's Suby. That thing is so slow granny could out walk it! Course, it died and got towed home today cause it refuses to start. This one's gonna be a tricky one to fix. I can see it now. Oh twell...off to brainstorming...............

• 1 month later...

Oh. I don't know... I got a GL instead. It's not much better, but it has a tach so I feel better winding it out.

The DL's timing was all the way advanced already, and it wasn't pinging, so I just left it. I had to replace the timing belts, but I haven't had it out much since then (selling it back to the guy I purchased it from - his brother-in-law needs a reliable car).

The biggest things that have helped are just driver modification. Realizing that I can take on-ramps a lot faster than I had been, that I can just wind the engine up to 5k+ RPM before shifting, and that WOT for 30-40 seconds isn't a problem.

That said, my GL is getting some more work on it soon - cold air intake, and a freed up exhaust system. Possibly a MSD6A to go with the Blaster 2 coil as well.

-=Russ=-