Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej22 with no ecu conversion

Not really sure where to post this because it would be going in a EA82 body.

I got to thinking, would it be possible to make a EJ22 run without an ECU if you wired the fuel injectors in with a resistor to the spark plug wires. With Constant power to the coil/coil pack, so it would have spark on its own and would still work via a distributor somehow rigged up. The wires would run a cylinder ahead of the spark. Like It would start like this

Plug wire #1 - resistor to fuel injector 3

Plug Wire #3 - resistor to fuel injector 2

Plug Wire #2 - resistor to fuel injector 4

Plug Wire #4 - resistor to fuel injector 1

So when the 1 cylinder sparked, it would blow fuel to 3 cylinder (the next in the firing order) 3 would spark sending fuel to 2 cylinder..

Prolly not possible, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there

You'll need an ECU to run the ignition since it is based upon the signals sent from two sensors, the crank angle sensor and the cam angle sensor, The only way around that would be for find one of those EJs with a distributor. I have only heard that they exsist, I personally have never seen one. You probably could carburate an EJ engine, but I'm not sure why you would want to do that.

You'll need an ECU to run the ignition since it is based upon the signals sent from two sensors, the crank angle sensor and the cam angle sensor, The only way around that would be for find one of those EJs with a distributor. I have only heard that they exsist, I personally have never seen one. You probably could carburate an EJ engine, but I'm not sure why you would want to do that.

hmmm might have a problem... there i wonder if the ECU could be modified so it would run without any fuel control inputs

the reason i want to run a carb is that LPG/Propane here is about 1/2 the cost of petrol.....and im not willing to spent 2900 euros to import a LPG fuel injection system from europe (Italy actualy)

The only way around that would be for find one of those EJs with a distributor. I have only heard that they exsist, I personally have never seen one.

Some ej18s over here have distributors (From a very early Legacy DL I think).

i think it would be easier ot get a 90 degree piece of aluminum made to attach onto the ej intake manifold and get a carb that willl be able to run a 2.2 liter motor, ditch the injectors, rails, and all that stuff, weld over the holes and tune that thing, as long as you grab a coil and start at TDC on cylinder 1, and follow instruction on how to start up a carb'd EA82 and have at it. find a disty thta will run off of i dont know what but have a good time. just substitute the engine code EA82 with EJ22 in the haynes manual and git-r-dun!!!!!!! BTW wtf is wrong with you, carbs are past history, and they suck a$$, you'd get much more power and better gas mileage and drivability, sorry had to express my true feelings. hope that helps.

~Josh~