Ultimate Subaru Message Board

knock sensor q's

Clayton, Miles is right about it being a blind boss.

GG, IIRC MS (too many initials!!!) uses MAP and doesn't need MAF. Either way, I am pretty sure that it compensates. And he is probably using the SAAB APC's knock sensor, which explains not needing the Sube one. i think that MS can utilize a knock sensor, but no real need unless it is "&EDIS" or similar. I think that the APC system is superior to system that just retards spark.

oddcomp can let you know if I am full of s... er, wrong answers. :grin:

as far as the altitude change goes

everytime you go to start your car teh ms grabs a baselne atmospheric reading from the map sensor takes like all of .5 seconds if that even

and then uses that baseline atmo reading to calculate teh fuel in regards to air density /air temp

i forgot what all mr wet said but yeah i use the apc for boost control and knock sensing err i will when i get everything backtogether finally <turning wrenches again on the beastie started yesterday > and teh apc also has a knock indicator light output wich in turn can e fed into the ms box

and if your using ms to run ignition like dis in my case but it can also run other electronic controlled distributors also that have electronic dwell and advance /retard

oops i drifted anyways take the apc knock indicator tie it into teh ms knock input and play with the programming and it will also retard timing

for example it gets knock signal so it pulls timming back for say 1 degree

if after oh 1-2 seconds or so it does not get a knock signal again it puts the timming back

now if it hears the signal again in that 1-2 second span it will pull out another degree

btw i don't care if ya hijack

anyone have a idea what size of thread the stock ea82t knocksensor is?? i need to pull mine and put a plug in its place

AGGGHHHH! is it a reverse thread?? I just sheared teh top off mine trying to take it out to clean the contacts!!!! Now i have to figure out a way to get the rest of it out...:banghead:

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Tight as heck sure is right. Prob is that now i have a small stud stiking out of he block with no hex on it! Can't get vise-grips on it properly without taking the intake manifold off, and i really can't be bothered with that!!

Add to that that i just found the cheapest i can get a new knock sensor is NZ$250, and it leaves me very angry!!!:mad:

Does anyone know how often the knock sensor unit has to retard the timing? (is it a regular occurence, or just when something is going wrong?) If its not often, then would it be ok to leave the knock sensor wires connected with the sensor off the engine untill i get a new one?

it only retards timing when it hears "ping" like from bad gas or overadvanced timing to much boost if its turbo charged

what you could do at least for now is to retard the timing a degree or 2 as a failsafe and run it until you can replace it

just a idea

Does anyone know if the ea81t knock sensors are the same as the ea82t ones?

Went to a junk yard, and the ea82t one looked quite different, although it may just be a different connection on top?

Nope,different.Might work though.