Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej20det? or ej20t? Conversion.

Shockey

Hello everyone once again, I have finally found the motor I am putting in my 2000 impreza 2.2L The ej20det. Now the company that told me about the engine said it was DET, so now this confuses me, so many people say it's just ej20t. Maybe it's because it's from japan? Anyway..

I am mainly posting to ask you guys what exactly I will need for this conversion and where I may start to search for it and any links that would help. I don't have 4 hours of my day everyday too search and search. Just any links you guys know would be awesome. I know I need a ECU. I think I need a wiring harness, he said I could maybe use the same harness and just rewire the harness. But I don't know for sure.

I am also wondering the stock horsepower of the ej20det. The guy I was talking to said it was closer to the hp of the sti in america stock. And if there is anything else I need to know before trying to do this off of my brothers, dad's and my knowlege alone. Then please help me. Thanks.

in america the motor you are speaking of is known as the EJ20G, the wrx motor, 2.0 liter DOHC aluminum block and head horizontally oppossed boxer engine. det i believe is a term for nissan motors i dont know, is that a JDM motor you got a qoute for? if it is then get motor, ecu, and the ENTIRE car harness, trust me on this one, if you are a blessed man then god will send you a wrecked car that also had a stick shift in it, if you're blessed. i think you would have to do some searching on nasioc forums. i think your odds of finding more usefull info is greater over there.

~Josh~

ive heard rumor of a twin turbo factory wrx, but that was last years model and the sti trim in japan, and i think it was only a factory show car.

i've seen one twin turbo wrx here, it was a '97 "Gravel Express" wagon version its the only tt 'rex i've seen and there are lots of WRX's here so they can't be that common

The trick with the Twin Turbos is they only fit in left hand drive cars, to fit them in a RHD takes fairly major mods.

Gary

there are quite a few tt legacys here and we drive RHD cars, most jap cars are designed RHD then any changes are made when the manufacturer decides to export that model to usa or europe

as for the power of twin turbo subaru's, in stock form power is about the same but the TT engines come on boost quicker i.e faster spool up but the end result is the same

• 2 years later...

I'm bumping this thread because there is so much misinformation and the last thing I (we) want is someone taking this misinformation as true. If I was some n00b wanting information on the turbocharged EJ20 then I'd want to get the right information.

Firstly, THERE IS NO TWIN TURBO IMPREZA. Period. The Gravel Express is a renamed and underpowered WRX. It has the TDO4. Only the Legacy/Liberty models had the twin turbo design (which actually has horrible lag between the primary and secondary - called the 'Valley Of Death' or VOD) and that was for the 2nd and 3rd generations. The twin turbos have the highest rate of engine/turbo failure out of all the Subaru turbo setups. Trust me on this. In the local club I'm in, we have 3 twin turbo and they love to pop up CE lights and ruin primary turbos and randomly fuel cut.

But the power they put out is GOOD!!! Especially when the secondary spools up and then it's smiles all round.

Secondly, we're going to sort out these engine codes. This EJ20T and TT bull has to stop. There is no such thing as an EJ20T or a TT.

Single turbo codes are: EJ20G and EJ20K.

Twin turbo codes are: EJ20H and EJ20R.

Jeez kids, get it the first time and I won't have to revive 2 year old threads!

Fair enough on the 'no WRX twin turbos" thing.....although it looked real factory fitted and had come in from japan like that...i know cos i looked at on the wharf in port charmers

you going to be :horse: to try get ppl to stop calling EJ20 turbos EJ20T's....once ppl have established that they are talking about a turbo then they use model designation's to further describe what they are talking about.

but and EJ20T is instantly recognised as a turbo on here....an EJ20K is not although they can be one and the same.

As for Twin Turbos.....they are mythical beasties to the majority of ppl on this board due to most of them being from america (may we have pity on them...):lol:

i have a question

on the ej20H (TT) is it sut up as a sequential twin, where one feeds the other?

or is it a twin turbo in the fact that there is a turbo for each side of the motor?

my guess is a sequential set up

the subaru kid

-Dalton

I'm bumping this thread because there is so much misinformation and the last thing I (we) want is someone taking this misinformation as true. If I was some n00b wanting information on the turbocharged EJ20 then I'd want to get the right information.

Firstly, THERE IS NO TWIN TURBO IMPREZA. Period. The Gravel Express is a renamed and underpowered WRX. It has the TDO4. Only the Legacy/Liberty models had the twin turbo design (which actually has horrible lag between the primary and secondary - called the 'Valley Of Death' or VOD) and that was for the 2nd and 3rd generations. The twin turbos have the highest rate of engine/turbo failure out of all the Subaru turbo setups. Trust me on this. In the local club I'm in, we have 3 twin turbo and they love to pop up CE lights and ruin primary turbos and randomly fuel cut.

But the power they put out is GOOD!!! Especially when the secondary spools up and then it's smiles all round.

Secondly, we're going to sort out these engine codes. This EJ20T and TT bull has to stop. There is no such thing as an EJ20T or a TT.

Single turbo codes are: EJ20G and EJ20K.

Twin turbo codes are: EJ20H and EJ20R.

Jeez kids, get it the first time and I won't have to revive 2 year old threads!

Look, misinformation or not, keep it civil. you've been here a couple months, you should know that the people here specialize in older gen. it's just like going onto NASIOC and asking if anyone knows the difference between an '88 Coupe and an '88 Hatch.

EJ20t means it's a 2.0l EJ-series motor with a Turbo, could be any one of the many combinations therein, 20G, 20K, 205, 207 etc.

long story short, if you're going to be a jackass, don't revive the 2 year old thread.

Look, misinformation or not, keep it civil. you've been here a couple months, you should know that the people here specialize in older gen. it's just like going onto NASIOC and asking if anyone knows the difference between an '88 Coupe and an '88 Hatch.

EJ20t means it's a 2.0l EJ-series motor with a Turbo, could be any one of the many combinations therein, 20G, 20K, 205, 207 etc.

long story short, if you're going to be a jackass, don't revive the 2 year old thread.

amen to that

Yeah I think I went a bit too overboard. I gotta remember this isn't NASIOC, I'm a n00b here and folks here are polite.

I do think it's important to point out that the twin turbo WRX that was discovered in Aus didn't come like that from factory and Subaru never released the WRX with the twin tubo setup. Yes the EJ20H/R are proper twin turbo, not sequential...whatever the difference is I don't know. I do know that on the GT-B the primary does 15psi and then the secondary takes over past that to about 16-17psi. My knowledge on the twins are limited, because of their complexity compared to the singles I just get confused so easily to the point where I don't know where to begin when it comes to pinpointing issues.

Yeah I think I went a bit too overboard. I gotta remember this isn't NASIOC, I'm a n00b here and folks here are polite.

I do think it's important to point out that the twin turbo WRX that was discovered in Aus didn't come like that from factory and Subaru never released the WRX with the twin tubo setup. Yes the EJ20H/R are proper twin turbo, not sequential...whatever the difference is I don't know. I do know that on the GT-B the primary does 15psi and then the secondary takes over past that to about 16-17psi. My knowledge on the twins are limited, because of their complexity compared to the singles I just get confused so easily to the point where I don't know where to begin when it comes to pinpointing issues.

now who's the one doling out the misinformation....:-\

20H/Rs are sequential. not staged, or parrallel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin-turbo

when they work, they work pretty well. putting down all the power of your standard EJ20t (a nonspecific term to reference any single turbo 2.0l EJ engine), with very little lag. because the smaller turbo spools almost instantly. in stock form, they leave a hole between where the smaller turbo peaks and the bigger one is just beginning to spool up, but I think some tuning and exhaust work, coupled with some carefully selected turbos, you could eliminate this.

East Coast Swappers just finished putting a complete, stock EJ20H into an impreza (converted to RHD....of course). some cool info on it....I'll try to find the link.

but yes, the extra complexity does sacrifice some reliability, but so does a single turbo over N/A. sometimes a price worth paying.

edit: added a pic of an EJ20H that I had saved on my computer

post-3242-13602762424_thumb.jpg

Correct - gotta save the ball busting for NASIOC. I surf NASIOC more than most here, and I enjoy not having the constraints of civility, but acting here the way one would act there is a quick way to get banned.

We don't even bother with points here. There's no 'rules and FAQ'. One might be told once that you're pissing someone off, but then again, maybe not. Might just go to log in one day and find that you aren't able to. :D

Just behave and be nice.

Additional note. We tend to put up with less crap, but even with our mostly informal system, we still have a lower ban rate per capita than NASIOC.

Plus, we've been around longer ;)

Yes, all is true.

I promise to be a good n00b from now on.

Oh and how brutal is off topic? I have yet to venture outside of the tech sections here.

Nothing like NASIOC OT

More like chillin in a coffee shop with your friends.

Not to mention that all new thread in our OT have to go through mod approval.