Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 legacy rear wheel bearings

I have a fwd . A while back I had a rear wheel noise and removed the rear bearing in the process of looking for the problem.

The nut I removed to get to the bearing was super tight I had to use a bar to loosen it. I thought these nuts should be tight and then backed off a slight bit. Could someone give me an idea on how tight it should be.

Also the bearing did not seem very greasy, should these bearings be cleaned and regreased occasionally or just leave it alone?

Thanks

Last time I took off the nut, the outer part of the bearing popped out easily. This time I could not get it out. I even took off the caliper and rotor, but nothing. It seemed dry but did not look like there was anything I could do so I put it all back together. Guess I need to get a manual!

I have a fwd . A while back I had a rear wheel noise and removed the rear bearing in the process of looking for the problem.

The nut I removed to get to the bearing was super tight I had to use a bar to loosen it. I thought these nuts should be tight and then backed off a slight bit. Could someone give me an idea on how tight it should be.

Also the bearing did not seem very greasy, should these bearings be cleaned and regreased occasionally or just leave it alone?

Thanks

Haynes gives 123-151 ft-lbs of torque for the rear wheels hub and bearing retainer nut for a FWD car.

You may think I am a total lunatic, but there was nothing wrong with the bearing in the first place( at least before I worked on it). While exploring for another problem , I just thought the bearing looked dry.

Well I should have watched TV instead of doing something useful. Guess at the least I need to retighten it.