Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help me out!

i dont seem to get it...i have an '86 soobie GL wagon that has an a/c compressor that doesnt work, besides i dont need it. so i would like to remove it, along with the belt and just use the alternator belt. i know that there is a bracket that holds the compressor, and it also seems to join the alternator. if i remove the compressor...will i need a "different" bracket to hold the alternator? oh, i almost forgot! does anybody have a soobie that has that square dull clock on the dash by the windshield and doesnt work? can it be fived? if not what has anyone done to it, such as take it out, replace it with something else???? and last but not least...does that seafoam stuff really work? do u trust it, what are it's pros and cons??? thanks guys. baggyshorts

im assuming you have the hitachi compressor, big round one on the inside of the alternator.

if you take off the compressor there will be enough of the bracket to run the alternator by itself, although it will appear to be floating on the left side.

ask tomrhere about the setup, his 82 brat came this way with an ea82 engine, you will have to get a different belt to make up for the absence of the compressor, tom should have a goodyear part number for the belt

bratmotorea82.jpg