Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cooling troubles, 92 Loyale- URGENT!

Hey, this is Steve and Ryan posting-

Picking up Steve's (Trogdor's) 92 Loyale, it had been sitting for a while and had broken a timing belt. We put in a brand new thermostat and water pump as well as the tbelts. The car seems to run fine, but sometimes heats up. We took it on the interstate and after climbing a long hill, the gauge crept up almost to the red line. The car then cooled down within a few minutes. On the way back, the temp gauge stayed in the normal range, even after climbing the same hill. Around the neighborhood it stays in the normal range as well. The coolant IS circulating- we have heat.

The car is also leaking/burning off coolant from somewhere in the left front, but we can't find any wet spots. It may just be runoff from boiling coolant from the overflow thank when the car got hot going up the hill.

We pulled over when the car heated up. The engine doesn't feel much hotter than normal, the radiator is cool enough to touch, and so is the radiator cap. Both radiator hoses are warm, but the upper hose is a bit warmer.

I highly doubt this is an internal engine problem, as the car cooled down FAST and never gave any indication of heating up on the way home. There's no smoke and no obvious coolant leaks major enough to cause this.

HELP! We have to get this car back to PA!

Hey, this is Steve and Ryan posting-

Picking up Steve's (Trogdor's) 92 Loyale, it had been sitting for a while and had broken a timing belt. We put in a brand new thermostat and water pump as well as the tbelts. The car seems to run fine, but sometimes heats up. We took it on the interstate and after climbing a long hill, the gauge crept up almost to the red line. The car then cooled down within a few minutes. On the way back, the temp gauge stayed in the normal range, even after climbing the same hill. Around the neighborhood it stays in the normal range as well. The coolant IS circulating- we have heat.

The car is also leaking/burning off coolant from somewhere in the left front, but we can't find any wet spots. It may just be runoff from boiling coolant from the overflow thank when the car got hot going up the hill.

We pulled over when the car heated up. The engine doesn't feel much hotter than normal, the radiator is cool enough to touch, and so is the radiator cap. Both radiator hoses are warm, but the upper hose is a bit warmer.

I highly doubt this is an internal engine problem, as the car cooled down FAST and never gave any indication of heating up on the way home. There's no smoke and no obvious coolant leaks major enough to cause this.

HELP! We have to get this car back to PA!

Quick update.

Shelli and I made it to a hotel in PA and the cooling problem has not resurfaced. Is it possible that it just needed to be run a bit?

let it cool off and check the coolant. there may be an air pocket in the cooling system, sometimes its tricky to get it all out

the motor in this car came from me out of trashwagon 6, i helped install the motor along with the 5spd conversion, i got it from jim wood in sidney oh

also check the rubber hose between the intake and the block, it comes off the thermostat housing

the motor that came out of your car is alive and well in my buddy roberts car, and the tranny went into a sedan for sale at a used car lot in st marys ohio

let it cool off and check the coolant. there may be an air pocket in the cooling system, sometimes its tricky to get it all out

the motor in this car came from me out of trashwagon 6, i helped install the motor along with the 5spd conversion, i got it from jim wood in sidney oh

also check the rubber hose between the intake and the block, it comes off the thermostat housing

the motor that came out of your car is alive and well in my buddy roberts car, and the tranny went into a sedan for sale at a used car lot in st marys ohio

Hey Miles! Thanks for the note. I did have to top it off a couple times, but it ran cool all the way home. Stopped at adavanced when I got into town and grabbed a oil pressure sending unit so the guage will work right. ANyhow, I fired it up and it ran up to hot again... about a mile down the road and it went back down to normal. What's up with that? Seemed odd.

Hey Miles! Thanks for the note. I did have to top it off a couple times, but it ran cool all the way home. Stopped at adavanced when I got into town and grabbed a oil pressure sending unit so the guage will work right. ANyhow, I fired it up and it ran up to hot again... about a mile down the road and it went back down to normal. What's up with that? Seemed odd.

I would take a close hard look at the themostat. Sounds like it is stiking after setting for a while and then starts working again after beinb overheated.

ogordon