Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got some questions about my new Loyale

OK, I got some things that need worked out on this new car.

It has an oil pressure guage but the engine came from a car with an idiot light. How do I make it so the guage will work again? I bought a sending unit, but they are different sizes. The guage sending unit is huge and the idiot light is pretty small.

The check engine light is always on because this car used to be an automatic and now it's a 5 spd d/r. Is there a way to trick the computer into thinking that the auto is still there and fine?

Has anyone ever rewired the dash on one of these? I have the guage cluster from a 5 spd but the connectors are different.

Also, how can I hook up the 5spd d/r to show up on the dash?

That oughta get me started for now. :grin:

There should be a hex plug in the oil pump that accepts the sender you bought. I dont think the hole for the idiot sender isnt used for the gauge sender.

I personally wouldnt bother with the wiring change for the 5 speed as you can pretty much tell when the 4wd is engaged by feeling the lever or if your happen to forget its on, turn a sharp corner and find yourself binding. :)

There should be a hex plug in the oil pump that accepts the sender you bought. I dont think the hole for the idiot sender isnt used for the gauge sender.

I personally wouldnt bother with the wiring change for the 5 speed as you can pretty much tell when the 4wd is engaged by feeling the lever or if your happen to forget its on, turn a sharp corner and find yourself binding. :)

So I can leave the idiot light plug in and there should be a different spot on the oil pump for the guage? Can anyone post a picture of that?

actually the idiot light hole is one of the plugs if the other sender is used. you can use this hole if you can find an adapter to fit the gauge fitting. take the old sender to autozone and ask them to compare to fittings(behind the counter)

there is also a fitting towards the bottom of the pump that takes a allen wrench to remove, this can fit but the threads will be tight, it may be hard to start a thread as it will want to tap itself to the fitting's thread. be careful here if you feel you will mess it up go the adapter route. with the other hole

actually the idiot light hole is one of the plugs if the other sender is used. you can use this hole if you can find an adapter to fit the gauge fitting. take the old sender to autozone and ask them to compare to fittings(behind the counter)

there is also a fitting towards the bottom of the pump that takes a allen wrench to remove, this can fit but the threads will be tight, it may be hard to start a thread as it will want to tap itself to the fitting's thread. be careful here if you feel you will mess it up go the adapter route. with the other hole

Ok. Shoudl I be able to get a guage the same size as the idiot light? I really don't want to mess anything up but I want the guage to work. :) P.S. we don't have an auto zone. We have an advanced and a napa.

OK, I got some things that need worked out on this new car.

It has an oil pressure guage but the engine came from a car with an idiot light. How do I make it so the guage will work again? I bought a sending unit, but they are different sizes. The guage sending unit is huge and the idiot light is pretty small.

You bought an OEM sending unit for it?

Just pull the hex plug mick described and screw the sending unit in. The hex plug is 8mm. should take about 5 minutes to accomplish the task

The check engine light is always on because this car used to be an automatic and now it's a 5 spd d/r. Is there a way to trick the computer into thinking that the auto is still there and fine?

No, the fact that the car was an auto is not why your check engine light is on. Pull the codes from the ECU to find out why the CEL is on. The transmission is not connected to the CEL at all.

EDIT.. unless the auto was a 4EAT in which case, the VSS may cause a CEL

Has anyone ever rewired the dash on one of these? I have the guage cluster from a 5 spd but the connectors are different.

Also, how can I hook up the 5spd d/r to show up on the dash?

Weird.. I did an auto to manual digidash swap and it was straight plug 'n play... even came from different year cars..

Time to bust out the FSM for whatever years of cars the dashes came from.