Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Delta Cam folks

To all you who have put Delta's reground cams in your subis, did you go ahead and replace the Lifters and Springs as recommended. I am seriously considering getting some done (EA82t) and want to know what its gonna end up costing me with all that stuff considered. I'm going to go with the performance grind cause its a track car.

*edit* I searched but didnt find much on that stuff specifically

To all you who have put Delta's reground cams in your subis, did you go ahead and replace the Lifters and Springs as recommended.

Nope! Who recommended this? Not DeltaCams for older scoobies.

Here's what I said in this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11592&page=2&pp=10&highlight=DeltaCams

I know what you are saying Robm. The DeltaCams site recommends this with their new cam grinds. This concerns me as I have already spend $500+ on new lifters for my XT6 about a year or two ago and planned on never to do this again. Here's the link to the DeltaCams helpful tips section.

http://www.deltacam.com/tech.htm

"1. Always use new lifters when installing a new camshaft. The bottoms of the lifters are spherically convex ground, and the cam lobes are ground with taper. The mating of these two surfaces ensures that the lifter will rotate, thus reducing the chance of premature wear. If you install used lifters on a new or reground camshaft, early failure is almost certain."

That last part in bold is what bothered me. Everything on my XT6 is almost certain to fail. :-p Fortunately, it seems people here haven't had a lot (or any) problems with their new cam grind. Unfortunately, I wouldn't fit in the same category as there are no XT6 cam grinds available....yet. I just need balls big enough to be the guinea pig. *Thinking* ........*shaking*

Here's what DeltaCams had to say:

Kevin, Lifters that run against the cam lobe should always be resurfaced or replaced, as in the EA81 engine. The followers that run against overhead camshafts should be inspected to make sure the following surface is free from wear.

The EA82 and EJ22 engines have nearly bullet proof cams and rockers and usually don't need replacing. We will inspect and resurface, if necessary, any rocker sent to us. Thanks, Jerry @ Delta Cams

Do as you see fit,

I am using the old springs/followers/HVLs

I think Delta would caution us if spring bind were

a problem.

I have seen 7+ grand and never expierenced valve float.

As for the 272 - don't forget to grease glue the shims

that come with the cam onto HVLs.

i am working on a oddball theory ..

but sincei have a turbo dodge minivan it looks like the cam setup is the same . wich means there may be a possibility of having cam follower's with rollers in them ... next junkyard run i will graba few and check if anyone is interested..

• 2 weeks later...

how did those cams work in your xt6

i was looking at geting a pair because it just drops off so fast but it will rev to 7500+ rpm(did it one but dont want to go further up)

was the power band 3000-6500?