Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiator diagrams?

Hey gang,

I was thinking about replacing my OEM with an aluminum one. Unfortunately no one makes a replacement in aluminum so it has to be made.

So I need full diagrams of core, tank, mounting holes and bolts for both the singe and two core radiators that subaru made for Gl wagon (loyale) 1.8L fuel injection engines 87 and newer.

I can get core, tank, inlet outlet etc, but not an actual diagram with all measurements (mounting holes etc) and thats what the radiator manuf needs. Anyone know where I can get those diagrams? --E

copper is better than aluminum... till it corrodes away.

i have pulled several aluminum radiators out of gls and loyales. in great conditions. single core i think...

I called several radiator people and no one knew of an aluminum radiator ever made, or currently being made for the late 80's gl wagon. If you know where to get them, which year of the gl wagon had the aluminum radiator, or who's making aluminum replacements, please enlighten me. --E

Interesting...... All the manufacturers say its basically a draw between aluminum & brass. They can both be manufactured to cool about the same amount but with different designs. The newer internal coatings help with longevity in both.

Burst issues have brass/copper tubes smaller while aluminum can go larger. From what I've seen racers use aluminum mostly for weight, but I've heard airflow with aluminum is generally better, and larger tubes = better fluid flow and that helps counteract the lower heat transfer. But thats just a bunch of crap I've read.

However, there are a lot of manuf. saying alum is better than B/C. But I suspect the profit margin on Aluminum is higher plus it helps pay for the investment in the expensive tooling to do aluminum.

Anyway I'm on the fence about A vs B/C because its hard to know who to believe. I tend to lean towards the experts, but they all say its a draw.

That being said, I think it could be possible to have a B/C radiator that has better fin density and design than a stock GL single core, or the new stock GL dual core I have in there now. The custom could give me more fan clearance than my current 2 core and better density for thermal transfer than a single core and perhaps an overall better cooling situation. Even if I did that, it still has to be custom made and I can't find anyone in Denver area making custom radiators. --E