Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Bent valve

Anyone bend valves on a N/A EA82? We had one come into the shop today.. old customer, bought the car drove it for a year tried starting it at -50F and it would never run after that.

I compression tested it and the #1 had 0 psi... figured stuck valve. so went I get to it, the valve springs are laying in the valve cover around with the big spring clip. The valve is sitting about a 1/2" down farther then all the closed valves. I hit it with a hammer to bust it loose and nothing happened.

These are non interference motors, so how far down would a loose valve have to go before it would hit the piston and bend?

Also, what other damage can I expect from this happening? I didnt pull the head because I have another EA82 sitting on the floor in the shop that I'm gonna drop in. Just wondering if I'm going to be replacing a piston and rod. Is it worth rebuilding????

Also, what other damage can I expect from this happening?

Depends. I have known damage to vary from replacing valve/valve guide to piston and cylinder bore damage from flakes of metal coming off of the valve during/after collision (if that is what happened). The instances I know of vary from a honda (valve/valve guide) to a VW that "dropped" a valve (cylinder bore damage), but I don't know of this happening on a Subaru. You will have to pull the head to really be able to tell. This is certainly bizzare!