Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is a good RPM to launch my car at?

Well, the time of year has come around and the local 1/8th mile track is opening once again. I plan on going out to the track and taking the GL-10 and see what kind of potential lies within and have a little fun before I have to put it away for 4 years. So, my question is, what would be a good RPM to launch it at? If anyone has any good advice, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Patrick

myself i launch mine between 2500 to 3000 rpm. seems that's were the torque peaks.it also depends if your running turbo.weither it spools up fast or slow.

not sure if it helped,though for a second there i sounded like i knew exactly what i'm talking about :brow:

(why u putting away if u don't mind me asking)

myself i launch mine between 2500 to 3000 rpm. seems that's were the torque peaks.it also depends if your running turbo.weither it spools up fast or slow.

not sure if it helped,though for a second there i sounded like i knew exactly what i'm talking about :brow:

(why u putting away if u don't mind me asking)

Well, it is turbocharged(EA82T w/ mods) and has a little IHI VF7 turbocharger that spools pretty darn quick. Anyway, my wife got orders to Kadena AFB, Okinawa for the next 4 years. So I can't take it with me and am going to leave it with my parents(who live locally) and our WRX is going into storage. It really sucks that I only get to enjoy it for a couple more weeks but I guess I have to make the best of it.

Somewhere between bogging the engine and excessive wheel spin. Your car and track condictions dictate this. Start on the low side and keep increasing the launch rpm untill you get the quickest 60ft time. Go out and play on the street, to get an idea. But remember the starting line at the track, should have more traction.

After all the you know what that I went through to get that new clutch in, there is no way in you know where that I would dump the clutch. Besides the fact that a whole lot of driveline shock takes place when you do that, and with my luck, I'd wind up breaking the axles or shearing the gears in the tranny or something. I kinda figured on about 2800-3000RPMs to launch at would be good.

I know your just going out to see what the car will do and have a good time.But Easing or Sliding the clutch is harder on it than dropping it. But like you said that is harder on the rest of the drive-train. Thats why you want to leave at a high enough RPM to break the tires loose just a little, to take some of the shock out of the rest of the parts.

Besides the fact that a whole lot of driveline shock takes place when you do that, and with my luck, I'd wind up breaking the axles or shearing the gears in the tranny or something..

EA82 u-joints are pretty strong from my driving time in a soobie. Yes I have gone through 3 driveshafts, but that was after I smoked the carrier bearing, then drove on the stock 16 year old ujoints for 2 months. I've dropped my clutch pretty damn hard, and an axle will snap before the ujoints/driveshaft.

I shoulda took a picture of the ujoint on the shaft I took out today. All the needles fell out of the caps. There was 1/4 inch play on each stud/cap.

drove it like that for the last two months. Thats with iceracing and jumping...

I think if I launch at about 2800RPMs, I'll be okay. 4K just seems too high for me unless I try it with the Diff Lock off so that the tires will spin some. I'll probably try and start launching at 2500, then work my way up until I fell comfortable, but I'll probably never go up to 4000. And I guess I really don't have too much to worry about as far as driveline shock goes, considering the clutch kit that I installed came with a disc that has a 6 spring, sprung hub(kinda looks like a clutch disc from an ACT clutch kit or something), versus the factory 4 spring hub.

Well, I think 2500RPMs is what I will be launching at. I went out earlier and practiced for a little while and was very impressed with the results. Funny thing is, when I got back on base, I had some little riceboy in a cavalier pull up next to me and start looking my car up and down with a big idiotic grin on his face. But the moment the light turned green, I was gone and he was left looking at my taillights, thanks to my launch technique. It was fun. Besides, if I hurt the clutch too much, it won't matter anyway. I have plans to buy an ACT or Centerforce clutch and brand new stock flywheel when I come back to the states, since I found out that a 95 Subaru Impreza(AWD) clutch will fit(8-7/8" dia./24T).

• 2 weeks later...