Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New member has RX and questions

Hi All!

First off, let me introduce myself. Name is Steve. From Palmer Lake CO.

Long time Subaru fan (since mid 70s), mostly DL/GL 4X4 wagons, used for mild off-road, snow days, beater car. Presently have an '84 GL wagon, built upon the previous '83s components, but with a mostly ding and rust-free chassis. Works great; my baby.

Just recently got an '85 RX sedan for embarassingly little coin ($300); was supposed to have a bad clutch. Bad clutch _adjustment_, I'd say; now works fine, runs super. Driving it today.

The RX is cool; EA82T, 5spd hi/lo (sorta lo, anyway), rear LSD, 4 wheel discs, nice alloy wheels (with near-new tires), sporty suspension, room for a decent stereo, etc.

At some point, a previous owner added a switch to the dash, and, alas, I can't figure what it does. It is an SPST switch that in the "ON" position connects a small white/red (red/white? symptom of brain fade) wire coming from a relay tucked up behind the instrument panel to ground.

I have _part_ of the factory service manual for the '85 cars, but not the electrical section, and diagrams in the the Haynes book didn't help.

Can anyone provide me with a copy of the pertinent parts of the factory manual, or even provide a guess as to what the switch is for?

I have also observed that the engine surges a bit under low speed/constant throttle (ie 30mph, 4th gear, residential street) operation. It passed CO emissions just fine, so no major problem with the fuel system, but at least a minor annoyance. Any suggestions as to where to start looking? The car has 117K on it, if it matters.

Last (and unrelated) question:

I also have an '86 (?) XT that someone gave me, has a bad motor, and is missing some interior trim; probably not worth the effort to fix. Does anyone know if the front seats will fit into my '84 w/o major surgery? (I know, I know . . . try and see . . . I'm just lazy ;-)

Many thanx in advance!

ByeBye! S.

Hi Sheppie!

You ask:

>Does the car need the switch on to run?

Nope. I can't tell any difference with it on or off; can't hear any fans start or relays click; doesn't seem to affect when the "boost" lite comes on; doesn't affect the 2wd/4wd selection; doesn't turn on any lights (at least not that I can tell).

If the switch had powered accessory lighting (my first guess), I would have expected to find additional wiring, but no; one splice into the relay wiring, and a connection to ground, that's it.

Guess I could pull out that relay and see what stops working . . .

Alas, no NSP option either. Probably a good thing it _didn't_ fire the ejector seat, eh ;-)

ByeBye! S.