Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need tips on replacing valve cover gaskets

Any good repair manuals or websites that can give me some step by step instructions on replacing my valve cover gaskets.

I sure there are some tips on what not to do or better yet, what makes the job a whole lot easier.

Thanks for any advise - Brett

Oh yeah, this is for a 98 OTB 2.5

Any good repair manuals or websites that can give me some step by step instructions on replacing my valve cover gaskets.

I sure there are some tips on what not to do or better yet, what makes the job a whole lot easier.

Thanks for any advise - Brett

Oh yeah, this is for a 98 OTB 2.5

Did mine last spring. Nothing really difficult or complicated about it, very straithforward.

Only advice I can give you is dont forget to replace cover gasket AND bolts oil seals (three on each side). Dont torque the bolts too much : Haynes will tell you how much. Last but not least, clean the face of the head around the cover before removing it. When you'll replace it you might not align it perfectly the first time and you risk getting dirt on the gasket.

It's possible you'll have a little less playing room around the cover than i have with my 2.2 L.

Haynes has instructions though not complete. Make sure you put some Ultra-grey sealant on the front edge(towards the radiator) at two corners and the other ends of the two semi-circle. Torque is 3.6 ft-lb for bolt covers. Might want to replace spark plug hole gaskets while you are at it. Might want to reseal the front journal holding the camshaft with ultragrey if it seems leaky. Consider adjusting valve clearances if you have time and hasn't been done - you will need a special tool to do it. Replacing camseals requires a bigger open heart surgery - removing camshaft, timing belt etc.

Yep, Looks like I am finally going to have to break down and buy the repair manual...I will be doing this on the side of my house, whats is the best way to block up the car and still be able to reach everything easily. Do I even need to get in from the top and should I block up the car so I just reach every thing from underneath?