Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New exhaust, Now RX sounds like a Toyota pickup????

I got the techworks header/downpipe, with custom 2.5 piping into a flowmaster muffler. NO cats. And I can't stand the way it sounds!!!:banghead: It's obnoxious. Sounds great at idle but, then you get going and get this gurgly tin can/ fart can sound that overpowers the good sound, and it sounds like a toyota pickup. Is this just because of the flowmaster? should I try having a resonator put in or a cat, or what? I guess I would rather have no noise, than have it sound like this.

Well I know that a catalytic converter(high-flow or normal) will muffle alot of the exhaust sound. The only problem with this is, it will restrict your exhaust a bit. Adding a couple of resonators in line before the muffler should help to mellow the exhaust note to a more tolerable level. I hope this helps you.

Patrick

I have to agree with Noah(hope the name is right) on this one. Dynomax mufflers are great sounding and they do flow well. If you really want to quiet it down, go to the nearest O'Reilly autoparts store, ask them to see the Walker Muffler catalog. From what I can find, Walker makes some of the quietest, yet high flowing mufflers. They are kind of moderately priced. If you get a chance to, go and check them out.

There are different types of Flowmaster mufflers. What series Flowmaster did you put on your car? Choosing the wrong series may be your problem.

I have 2 1/2" exhaust from the turbo, high flow catalytic converter, and a Flowmaster on my car and it doesn't sound like a Toyota pick-up.

Will heard it at an autocross in Radford, Va. maybe he has some insight.

Jay

Header is what makes a subaru sound like a subaru..even with the exh i had for a long time...catless...but under the stock shells...it sounded great and was quiet.

with the TWE's...the exhaust flows PROPERLY...and with a larger diameter...its jsut plain LOUD and with the tuned lenght header, the boxer sound goes away if there isnt anything to take away the high pitched junk out of the sound.

If I installed a glasspack, it would most likely have to sit in front of the rear axle, right?

Or you could have it mounted where the #2 stock catalytic converter would go. If I ever decide to go catless and get a test pipe, or straight pipe if you will, then I will replace it with another resonator(large internal dia. glasspack) like the one that is already on the car.

Equal length will take the boxer away. Tuned length is actaully TUNED to the engine's exhaust pulses, and will not nessisarily take or bring the boxer sound. With a stright pipe, the Tuned length TWEs will take the boxer sound away. The Un-equal length stock headers on all subarus is what causes the boxer sound. The borlas are semi-tuned pipes that are better than stock but are still 50% crap....and mostly dont fit right, and give the boxer sound a grumble with the right cats and cat back.

what i would do is go with a cherry bomb or no muffler at all

what i find to be ideal is the glass pack at the downpipe flange and stright pipe out the back. the glass pack will give a deep mellow sound and the pope back will take the sound out from under the car, and reduce the pulsing sounds