Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear skid plates?

The '80 and '81 Soob's had the fuel pump mounted in the engine compartment, next to the wiper motor. I pull these brackets when ever I find them and rewire/mount the pump, and put an inline filter in between the pump and the carb, and inplace of the pump in the rear. I'm also not running any emissions or fuel separator so the fuel delivery is has only fuel in and return.

Changed my fuel filter the other day(87 gl ea82 carbed) and it seams the fuel pump is pretty vulnerable looking back there. Does anyone have that area protected by a skid plate, or even relocated it?

The pump on my 85 Sedan was hanging by the lines, and on my Wagon it's zip-tied to the crossmember. I've never had any kinda issue, and I'm pretty hard on cars.

Extra protection isn't a bad idea, but prolly not needed.

hopefully other offroaders can chime in, but i don't think that anyone has had a problem with the pump, maybe were all just super lucky.

*chimes in* :)

I've had seriouse problems with the fuel pumps stock location. Offroading up near Little Falls I ripped the bracket clean off. The whole thign was just dangeling by the fuel lines and electrical wires! :eek: I drove 200 miles home before I even realized it.

Since then I have relocated it directly above the stock location; now it's inside the cabin. Completly up and out of the way and will never get ripped off while offroading again :) Drawbacks are present however. The thing is noisy! Also its a slight hazard having it in the cabin. However I'm not paranoid about such things; I'm confident in my install and its held true for thousands of miles now.

It was a really easy mod. The holes are already in the unibody. Simply pull the rubber plugs out and run the lines. For a super clean install; drill out the rubber plugs the same diameter of the hose and run the hoses through the holes in the plugs. Now replace the plugs and you wont have to worry about the sharp edge of the unibody wearing through the fuel lines. Can even use a little bit of silicone sealant if you want a water tight seal there!

under the hood wont work... its gotta be close to the tank....

i have two subarus with the efi pump in the cab, where morganm mentioned.

if you still want your rear seats however(some people do, believe it or not), youd have to cut out the seat underneath to make room for the pump.

i use a towel to keep mine quiet =].

under the hood wont work... its gotta be close to the tank....

In '80 and '81 Fuji Heavy put the pump under the hood, I've pulled those brackets and remounted pumps in three Soob's and it works fine. In fact I'm running a pump under the hood in my '85 Brat right now with out any problems.

In '80 and '81 Fuji Heavy put the pump under the hood, I've pulled those brackets and remounted pumps in three Soob's and it works fine. In fact I'm running a pump under the hood in my '85 Brat right now with out any problems.

and then they stopped doing it. its alot easier to push fuel than pull it, and if you ever ran out of gas, i bet it would be tough to get it primed again. shorter pump life, if nothing else...

you sure as heck cant do that with a high pressure efi pump.

you sure as heck cant do that with a high pressure efi pump

Your absolutely right, it wouldn't work with a EFI system, however I didn't say it would. I merely replyed to your original statement in which you said

under the hood wont work
which is infact wrong, it will work. It may not be the best option, but it is an option none the less.