Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Mundane details

Well, it finally happened. I spilled coffee on myself while driving. Luckily i was headed home, but it was still maddening. Has anybody found a good cupholder for a Loyale?? I dont want to glue anything or cut into anything, or otherwise destroy my trim/interior. I put one directly behind my stick, but only cans can fit in it (everything else is too tall for 2nd, 4th, and R). Any thoughts or ideas would be great as im not great at removing stains!

well, w/my 89 gl i drilled a hole straight down in front and to the right of the clock, took off the passenger side grille in the front console to access that area and ran bolt through the hole and used a nut of course to hold it on...its not going anywhere and is adjustable for even big gulps..its the euro jr cupholder from walmart...

LF:

Good news. There are a couple of easy "Alley" solutions to all your cup holding problems...

1) Old standby - big roll of duct tape. You just simply place it in a handy spot, and rest your drink in the middle hole!! Make sure you get a nice new sticky roll to make good contact with your carpeting, dash, etc.

2) My favorite - go to your hardware store and check out the plumbing section. Look for a 3" (or 4" for Big Gulps) PVC cap. Then {optional} head over to the paint dept and find a color that matches or contrasts your intererior. Finally, get a pack of self stick velcro connectors. Paint the PVC cap, and attach one of the velcro's to the bottom of the cap, and the other to dash carpeting etc. This works well for multiple locations.

Much cooler than those cheap-rump roast Kmart door mounted cup holders, and sturdier too.

good luck, John

LOL..The only thing about the Loyales that I dont like......I use the "wedge it between the parking brake and seat" method..and never get anything without a screw on lid. For coffee....I have a natural instinct now that when ever I brake or turn to automatically instead of down shifting may hand goes to the coffee cup:grin:

My approach is a mix of the above. Step 1: Go to Wal*Mart. Purchase a Spillmaster Euro Junior adjustable mug holder (auto section, about $3.79 and, for the moment, made in America). Go home. Park Loyale. Step 2: Remove the coin tray under the hand brake (push the front edge toward the rear and pull up, it'll pop out. This is also what you have to do to adjust the hand brake). Place the Euro Jr. on the coin tray in the position that you want it - open the mug holder so that you reveal the screw mount hole in the base of the mug holder. Drill a hole in the coin tray in the location that will allow mounting of the Euro onto the tray. Step 3: Go to hardware store and buy a bolt, nut and lock washer of the right length and diameter. Step 4: Mount Euro Jr. to coin tray. Step 5: Install coin tray back in the Loyale.

Step 6: Custom adjust your adjustable Euro to your cool coffee mug. Step 7: Enjoy taking those sharp turns with your steaming mug securely nesting in your custom-mounted $3.79 adjustable mug holder. It doesn't get any better than this.

My solution in pre cup holder cars-use those wide bottom coffee cups. you know the ones that have an inverted "Y" shape" cross section. With a good rubber grip on the bottom, it takes a real lock up from high speed to turn them over. I drove with those for years in my 73 maverick and 80 sub, just set it on hump or pass seat floor-in small cars the pass seat floor is still within easy reach. I still have a box full of them if anyone is interested, all my cars now have cupholders