Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 Legacy: green power light

This is in an auto. However, I don't believe there is a switch for this. The switch on the gear selector is for the "manual" which I think just moves the shifting points in case you're towing or something. The green "power" light I think comes on if you floor the engine or such. But I don't know what it is trying to tell me when it is lit. Hopefully someone on the board can clear this up. Anyone?

i have just been doing research on these auto trannies as im in the middle of a swap/upgrade ,from what ive found from a factory service manual the power indicator does just what you say when you floor it it changes the shift rate and the rpms at which it shifts into each gear. the light is just telling you it has change into this different program shift mode .once you let off the accelerator it switches back to normal mode .

the manual button as per the factory manual "used to maintain the transmission in select range 2nd,3rd when going up or down steep hills,running on sand ,mud or slippery surface" took me reading the entire manual to find that out . i was hoping it would provide locked full time 4wd but i appears it doesnt ,just start you out in 2nd gear (limiting wheel slip) and then only allowing 3rd gear with no 4th or torque converter lock-up.

the other thing the power button does is flash problem codes for trans ECU if it has sensed a problem and set a trouble code.

hope this helps

yeah, the manual button only works in 2 and 3. In 2, the car will start in 2 and stay in two (until redline), and in 3 it will start in 2 and then almost immediately shift to 3, and stay in three unless you're stopped or almost stopped.

• 2 years later...

ok my 93 leg..."the H2" when i start it up the "normal" green light flashes for about 8 sec.....now the manual that came with the wagon says: if the light flashes for about 8 sec or more after the ignition swiitch has been turned on when starting this may indicate a prob with the auto trans control system ? somebody tell me what that is? could it be a fuse?

i have no idea....:rolleyes:

spark

ok my 93 leg..."the H2" when i start it up the "normal" green light flashes for about 8 sec.....now the manual that came with the wagon says: if the light flashes for about 8 sec or more after the ignition swiitch has been turned on when starting this may indicate a prob with the auto trans control system ? somebody tell me what that is? could it be a fuse?

i have no idea....:rolleyes:

spark

yup, pull the codes here are the instructions from legacy777 site. When also comes on during WOT running.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/subaru.html

When it comes on when your holding it floored it's only telling you it will hold the lower gears higher into the engine's RPM range. This gives better acceleration. Nothing more than that.
the prob is that its blinking ...the manual says there's something hey-wire :eek::lol:

the prob is that its blinking ...the manual says there's something hey-wire :eek::lol:

ill tell you what if you don't notice a problem, you will probably just need to unplug the battery for 45+ mins and it will stop. And/or need a transmission fluid change.