Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need advice to convert air suspension to non-air on AWD SW

pappy

I moved and sold a really nice 86 GL-10 Turbo wagon, ~70K orig miles, but new owner, a friend (not mechanically savvy) can't get air suspension fixed. I suggested convert to non-air suspension. Struts, mounting kits, and boots are avail on-line, but can't find springs. What else is required? Car is on Oahu and I'm not, but would like to help.

Thanks.

Most of us who have done this conversion just go to the Junk yard and pick up all the non-air struts for a wagon then put them in.

But if you want to get all the new stuff (but are missing some of it) then I can pull some off of an 86 wagon and sell you all the parts you are missing.

Hush

P.S. Or all the struts, but shipping on that would be a bit.

Thanks. I assume there are no bolt pattern or such issues? New owner is not a junkyard monkey like I am, plus there are darn few yards on Oahu. Owner will need to ID a mechanic, then get you to ship all needed items. Gimme a quote by email. Owner in no hurry, so slow-boat shipping is OK.

Thanks.

Most of us who have done this conversion just go to the Junk yard and pick up all the non-air struts for a wagon then put them in.

But if you want to get all the new stuff (but are missing some of it) then I can pull some off of an 86 wagon and sell you all the parts you are missing.

Hush

P.S. Or all the struts, but shipping on that would be a bit.

Thanks. I assume there are no bolt pattern or such issues? ...

Direct replacement. As long as you can unbolt the old (can be issues getting clearance) and replace with new it is pretty easy. Brake line is connected through a flange on the strut tube, so either brake line has to be disconnected (messy, and have to bleed) or flange can be doctored a little with a hacksaw to allow line to slip through. (I prefer the latter, but I did it because it makes future maintenance easier.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Pappy's friend and the owner of the station wagon. As Pappy mentioned, I'm not mechanically savy and appreciate your input. I've located a mechanic on island to do the work and would appreciate a quote on all of the parts needed to convert to non-air suspension. Please send a quote to my email. Thanks!