Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92' Loyalle front end noise....bearing?? Axel nut??

1992 Subaru Loyalle, 5 speed 4wd, 1.8l injected non-turbo.......

In advance I would like to appologize if this is one of those threads that has been covered a million times and I just can't find one using a search, ehhh, here goes...

Since I bought this car it has made a noise coming from the front that I can only explain as a hum/vibration noise. Picture the noise 33" and up aggresive tread tires make....sorta like that. I have had a wheel bearing go out on a honda I had and it's not like that, it's not a grinding I can feel in the steering wheel, although I can feel a little in the wheel.

It is constant throughout all speeds, but it definately gets louder the faster I go, freeway speeds it is very apperent.

When I turn right hard it goes away......like getting on a freeway where it loops back around. Not just turning to the right, you gotta be turning pretty good, there's just a certain speed/body roll position that makes it stop.

Any ideas??? I have a little time this afternoon and was going to jack up the front and see if I can wobble the front wheels......should I check the tourqe on the axle nuts??

Another question, does anybody know of a good shop in the Everett-Lynnwood area that is trust worthy?? Maybe I could let them drive it and give a diagnosis????

Any ideas appreciated, I am not dumb by any means and I am mechanicaly inclined with tools, I just have no experience working on cars.....it's like once I do it it's no problem, but I don't have any experience to know whats wrong.

Thanks in advance......

Hummm funny, my Suby is doing exacly the same thing. Again.:banghead: (Must stop jumping, Must stop jumping, Must stop jumping....) Yes, if your axel nut is tight, I will say wheel bearings. And yes, they will get quieter turning right. I don't know why, they just do.:confused: Mine, I can feel a vibration in the steering wheel, not alot, but it's there; and a sharp vibration on the floor.

mine is doing the same thing.i took it the subaru shop and asked one of the mechanics who has been there along time.he went for a ride with me and he said he didn't think it could be a wheel bearing because they usually make a higher pitched noise than what i have.he told me to check the oil level in my tanmission,which was bone dry so i filled it.the noise has not gone away.he said the transmission is not rebuildable.i guess i just drive it til it quits altogether, its got 234,00 miles on it.