Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever run turbo pistons without turbo?

doood. it would suck so bad. youd think you had a 4 cylinder.

compression is power. plain and simple. youd get worse gas mileage also, maybe alot worse.

why not open up the heads with a die grinder. theres metal in there that could be removed to promote better flow, and in turn get your compression ratio down.

There have been a couple of locals-to-me that have done it. And, practically speaking, the very common crossover-pipe fracture ends up giving a low-to-non-boost engine.

It will feel a litle weak, especially compared to a standard XT6, but i suspect that it will still have enough oomph to get out of its own way. Other than down on power, I wouldn't expect any other problems.

yeah i had this spfi dl with a 3at 2wd, the motor was bad and i used a carb block, it was a dog but i blame it more on the transmission

do you plan to build up a turbo on the xt6? maybe you can consider carb pistons, as they work with turbos in stock boost applications, but i would avoid this for high boost applications without aftermarket engine management/intercooler

i'd use aftermarket low compression turbo pistons. trying to figure out a plan. i got 4 XT6's and 2 extra motors.....can't decide at the moment whether to drop a motor in my daily driver and build a turbo block out of a spare motor for later. or install turbo pistons right now. but i don't think i'm going to go that route. i'll just drop this motor in and start building another block with turbo pistons for a later install.

thanks for the input.