Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should i get a valve job?

got an XT6 a couple weeks ago with an extra engine he was building up. i'm putting the extra engine in my daily driver. the motor was in good shape, but he installed new head gaskets anyway (engine was not overheated or blown gaskets). but he did not have a valve job done. heads with new gaskets and reground delta cams are already installed. the ports are perfectly clean. already have mine out and this one is clean, painted and just about ready to drop in. i'm nervous that the valve job wasn't done or the head bolts weren't cleaned when installed. but i don't want to pull the heads, get new gaskets, get the valve job done and reinstall everything if it's not a huge deal.

i emailed the guy if there were any cracks between valve seats, i haven't heard back from him yet. i guess i have space and an engine lift so i can always pull it again if i have too.

any thoughts?

ports clean? as in flowed?

the only real reason to have the valve job done is if you are:

A: going to flow the heads

2: they have more than 100k on them

c: if your already spending alot of money and want it done, and done.

since it looks like you should do it, you should take the valves out, go to town on the ports with a dremel =p or a real die grinder with some sanding wheels.

if you dont know what your doing just smooth out the ports, cant realy mess it up with sanding wheels, or strips of sand paper.

the ports were cleaned but not worked in anyway. the intake all the way to the valves is clean, no hints of carbon or oil i typically see on heads when they are first pulled.

i plan on hitting the ports even if i don't pull the heads. i can get to most of the intake side of the ports and smooth out all that nasty casting flash. i can get to that since the motor is on my bench and there's no intake or anything on top of it.

i think i've decided to save the valve job for a build with turbo pistons.

thanks for the input guys.