Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RX info

Ok so one of the auto tech instructors at my school has a RX sitting out in the car lot behind our garages at school... It intrigues me cause it seems it would be a fun car to have as a dailey driver so I could keep miles of my MY00 RS... The car runs pretty well from what I have been told, however it is older and I dont know much about them... I had my instructor talk to him about selling it and he says he is open to offers... Like I said before I dont know much about them, but if its anything like my RS Im sure I would love it...

Basically I just want to know more info about the car by those who are or have been owners... Cause I've seen it was only produced for 4 years so was it a good car... And I dont konw what I should offer him for it, granted I have to speak with him personally about the car first...

I currently own both an 88 RX with the ten speed tranny,

cntr diff lock and LSD

and a MY00 2.5RS with the 5 speed.

sorry without some serious mods

the RX

will be a disappointment

That said, buy it NOW.

Do not dottle or gag your lolly.

Im in High Point, NC the RX is a red sedan with black stripping down the side guessing that it is a 85 or 86... I am in no rush to buy it because I am the only one that has any interested in buying it, well that is im the only person with intrest that knows were it is... But I do plan on buying it sometime within a couple months and have it as a daily driver/rally car...

Like Skip said, if you compare it to your RS, you'll be disappointed. That said, it is not a bad car for a daily driver, but the do have their problem, like any turbo Subaru of that era. The EA82T (the engine code) requires a lot more attention then the the non-turbo EA82, it is not a car that you can just put gas and oil in it an drive it forever. Heat is a killer for these engines and they have a tendency to overheat, so the temp guage must be watched often. They also seem to consume more oil then the non-turbos, so check the oil often. If it is an 85 or 86 sedan in good condition, start with an offer of $500. Of course, if the engine and/or tranny has had a recent rebuild, the price will raise accordingly. Total mileage also plays and important part, the more mile the less the price. If he is an auto tech instructor, I would hope that he has well maintained the car, that will also cause the price to increase. Anyway, if he is open to offers and hasn't put a price of it, it is a place to start. If he laughs at it, asked him what price he was thinking it was worth and go from there.

Im in High Point, NC the RX is a red sedan with black stripping down the side guessing that it is a 85 or 86... I am in no rush to buy it because I am the only one that has any interested in buying it, well that is im the only person with intrest that knows were it is... But I do plan on buying it sometime within a couple months and have it as a daily driver/rally car...

I will be out your way SUNDAY for the Triad Autox(auto-x.com i think)...and you can see what a modd'ed RX can really do... :banana:

The RX sedan would make an excellent daily/rally beater provided a recirc valve is installed and you really take the steps needed, and carefully, to get the car back to reliable streetable status (reseal the engine, run synthetic oil, go over the cooling system VERY VERY carefully...etc etc...its not that hard really).

More to come later...

i go with everyone else in saying "get it now". i dont agree with those who say it will be disappointing compared to a rs, i have 2000 2.5rs thats been moded and a rx the i just got a new turbo back exhaust on last night. i love both cars, infact, i think i enjoy driving the rx a little bit more than the impreza, granted the impreza is an auto and the rx is a 5 spd d/r

i go with everyone else in saying "get it now". i dont agree with those who say it will be disappointing compared to a rs, i have 2000 2.5rs thats been moded and a rx the i just got a new turbo back exhaust on last night. i love both cars, infact, i think i enjoy driving the rx a little bit more than the impreza, granted the impreza is an auto and the rx is a 5 spd d/r
Granted I'm comparing 3 RX coupes with 5 speed D/Rs against an Impreza with a JDM WRX conversion, BIG difference.