Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Distributor Cap question

Changed my spark plugs yesterday and I goofed. Now the car won't start. I need to have the car running by tomorrow morning (dyno). Our silly RXs disty caps only have 1 number on it and that's to cylinder #1.

Counting clockwise from the #1 cylinder spark plug wire hole on the disty cap, what are the numbers supposed to be? Clockwise, my disty now is setup like this:

1-4-2-3 <-----Is this correct?

I'll deal with it when I get home from work today. If this is the correct order, it'll save me some time in problem solving why it's not starting.

BTW: When I changed my spark plugs, I tried to start it and heard a small 'pop'. My #3 and #1 spark plug wires were mixed up. The car didn't start. I don't know if that 'pop' had anything to do with anything but I thought I'd share that. I just thought all I had to do was simply switch the spark plug wires (1 and 3) and be done with it. I'm thinking I'm all mixed up now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27265&highlight=firing+order

Yep, that's the correct firing order.

Does it just crank and crank, and not start? You might try taking the new plugs out, wait a few minutes, put the old DRY plugs back in, and try starting it again. This sounds like the problem I had a while ago.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27265&highlight=firing+order

Yep, that's the correct firing order.

Does it just crank and crank, and not start? You might try taking the new plugs out, wait a few minutes, put the old DRY plugs back in, and try starting it again. This sounds like the problem I had a while ago.

I'll try that. Thanks!

BTW: I forgot to mention I gapped the plugs to between 1.0-1.1mm. I think that is the correct gapping.