Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985 Subaru heater problem

Hi all, glad I found this site. I have a question about my heater. It works ok while on the low fan setting, but blows a mixture of heat and cool air while in the other(2,3 and 4th) fan settings. Defrost is the same as the heat setting. Could this be just the thermostat?

Update, burping didn't work. As for the Core, I will have to have someone else do that for me,as I am disabled. I had already filled the radiator up the other day so it is full. Thanks agian for the help.

welcome to the good ship USMB

on your question

"Could this be just the thermostat?"

could be

the recent number of posts on faulty NON factory thermostats would astound you.

better quasi guess is you are low on coolant or

the system needs an air blocking embolism

exorcised.

Get the nose in the air and ask if there are any cooties in there.

Remove the rad cap let it idle till warm.

With luck she'll burp you some good ones.

Refill, replace the cap, and see if it solves the problem.

Hope this helps and again welcome to the Subaru board

Mine did the same thing. I ended up pulling the heater housing apart. The core lays flat, so part of it was blocked by debris laying on top of it. My guess is that sence it was blocked that when I turned the fan higher it had to suck the air from somewhere. It probably pulled the cool air past a closed flap in the system. Mine works great now. Also while it was out I back flushed the core.

Hi Lefty... don't overlook the thermostat. I'm putting my third one in. The two I put in before them didn't open til I boiled them to 240 degrees. The second one and the new one I'm putting in are OEM so it could happen with factory thermostats too. Good Luck, boing

Hi Lefty... don't overlook the thermostat. I'm putting my third one in. The two I put in before them didn't open til I boiled them to 240 degrees. The second one and the new one I'm putting in are OEM so it could happen with factory thermostats too. Good Luck, boing

That is the next thing I will do, the Core is going to be the last thing as I can't do it myself. Thanks for the replys from you all.

That is the next thing I will do, the Core is going to be the last thing as I can't do it myself. Thanks for the replys from you all.

Dont' be afraid of the core. it can be done fairly easily believe it or not. We have a photo guide you might look at. Of course, if you don't have too it's better not to.

Kurt

Dont' be afraid of the core. it can be done fairly easily believe it or not. We have a photo guide you might look at. Of course, if you don't have too it's better not to.

Kurt

Nice pictures and instructions on removing the heater core, but I will still have to have someone else do it for me. Bad back keeps me from doing much at all.

Thanks for the tip. I might print it out and have the shop or a friend do it that way. Looks like a lot easier method.