Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help with the coupe **fixed**

see 2nd page

*a quick note first*

well last week as i was packing to go on a litle 3 day va-ca, i turned the key once to listen to some music..cd player didn't turn on.. i pulled the deck. i got nothing with a test light at my 12v constant wire (that or deck ground "may" have come out of the crimp. the radio fuse did not blow

well fast foward to the problem i go to leave and the car doesnt start it will turn over but just not fire and run..tried a few things..still wouldn't run..so i got pissed and let it sit.

so the other day i got out the test light again and started probing around

coil- fine

both sides of fusable links-fine

fuses underneath dash-all fine, on both sides......except.... the charge fuse!

i pulled the fuse, it looked perfect but i threw in a new one. the problem is i am not getting a reading at either side of the charge fuse and im still not getting anything at the radio's 12v constant

so where do i go from here...my last option is to use my old gl dash wirring as a "real life" wiring diagram to start tracing the wires coming off the charge fuse.

any tips would be great

Sorry, I have no idea.

In cases like this I usually go to the pub to get drunk :drunk:

As I posted about my power windows earlier... those are still not fixed as well. I just can't deal with electronics which have at least one relay in it :D

Recheck the fuses. This really sounds like a fuse problem. If you trace the charge fuse line back you find a second fuse or in most cases a fusable link. Check them very close and then check the connection that they are making. The fuse may be good and the connection bad. try cleaning the connectors and make sure the connectors are all plugged in. In this case 2... or 3 but definately the one right at the alternator. Hope things work out... post here to let us know. boing

So, if I read correctly, you checked both sides of the fusable links and they were fine. Does that mean that you checked the link itself? I'm assuming that you tested both sides for power, and when you got a light from both side you felt the link was good. In most cases I'd say that would be true, but if you have any extra links around, it wouldn't hurt to replace them. Also, you mentioned that you had no power to either side of the charge fuse? I'm not sure, but doesn't power only flow through that fuse when the engine is running and the alternator is working? Electrical problems are the most frustrating part of working cars, it can be the simplest of thing, but not the most obvious.

sounds alot like my rx a few months ago, it turned out to be a loose connection in the fuse block, the fuse was fine, but it wouldnt start, then when it was tapped by a test probe, it touched the contact and the relay clicked. it had me stumped for 2 months and i spent well over $200 in ignition parts trying to figure it out. good luck man.

Use an ohmmeter to check resistances on the wires.

Are you sure your battery terminals are tight and clean?

The next step is the most painful one -

individually checking each wire in the system, until you find "the one" that is bad. I would suggest removing the screws that retain the fusebox and checking behind it for any clues to the electrical fault. That is probably the most electrically cramped part of the car.

Lets deal with the most important problem first. You stated the engine doesn't run. Have you checked the ignition system to see if spark is getting to the plugs? If not, you need to do this. If you have spark then try spraying a small amount of starter fluid into the intake to see if that will help get things going.

The constant 12 volts to the radio is not there to power the radio as you may well know. It is for the radio memory. The power for the radio is normally switched on via the ignition switch.

You stated that the warning lights came on as they should so the switch sounds like it is ok. The switch also turns on some relays that supply power to various accessories but it appears other things are working, so that seems ok. There may also be an inline fuse near the radio that has blown. I would look for that. If you don't find one then I would get a service manual or go to the library and find one there to get a wiring diagram for the car. This will make things easier to locate. There is a break in the power somewhere and it may be at a connector.

• 2 weeks later...