Ultimate Subaru Message Board

where to buy steering ujoint

any suggestions on where to get a steering shaft u-joint assembly for an ea81 hatch?

not looking for a junkyard one...

dealer only part?

or take it to a machine shop and get it rebuilt?

anyone ever bought one of these?

are they available at any auto parts stores?

napa online did not list it that i saw...

any suggestions appreciated.

thank you.

thanks for the reply erik- just looking for a stock one.

dealer wants 378.00

napa or any local auto parts store does not list.

local driveline machine shop sez- " cant rebuild something with that small of a u-joint"

is the junkyard the only way to go?

no ea81 cars in the yards around here...

has anyone ever had to replace one of these?

Are you talking about the little 8 or 9 inch piece that connects the steering column to the steering rack? If so, I have 2 of them.One from my 83 Brat when I did the lift kit installation, and onother from an 87 Brat that was parted out. If this is what you need, let me know. You can have it for shipping.

pat, i think he's talking about the ujoint between the two steering shafts. the 8 or 9 inch piece you're talking about should connect to the rack at one end and the other shaft via ujoint at the other end. so if yours still has the ujoint in place he'd be golden. they sell hypodermic needles for greasing bearings at tractor supply stores. works on the timing belt pulley bearings for instance. get one of those, you might get lucky and be able to squeeze some grease in an old ujoint if there's any gaps. might be totally sealed though.

yea- i dont need the actual steering shaft, its the part that connects the steering column shaft to the shaft that comes out of the steering rack- has a little u-joint in it.

none in the yards around here. if junkyard is the best way to go i will post a thread in the marketplace.

northguy- if you have one that you can part with that is not wore- i will gladly pay for it and any shipping.

archemitis- thanks for the info on the brat- that is good to know- should make one easier to find..

gregossary- i tried to lube it- even soaked it in hot 90w gear oil overnite, but it is way wore and binds up real bad. probably would last awile but i have this car all apart as i am putting a lift in it, and i figure now is a good time to change it.

thanks for the replies. i was just wonderin if there was a way to go besides the junkyard. i was surprised when the driveline machine shop said they could not do anything....

Hi, I have noticed that the power steering ones and the non/power ones are different from each other. The non power has a taller stem on the rack and therefore the link piece is shorter than the power assisted equipped version. Make sure you chase the right one first time out. LOL

any suggestions on where to get a steering shaft u-joint assembly for an ea81 hatch?

not looking for a junkyard one...

dealer only part?

or take it to a machine shop and get it rebuilt?

anyone ever bought one of these?

are they available at any auto parts stores?

napa online did not list it that i saw...

any suggestions appreciated.

thank you.