Ultimate Subaru Message Board

special sockets for head EA81

You need to PM or call WJM at the number he should still have listed. The two tools will run you more than 100+ dollars though.

I just got mine recently and the head socket is certainly worth the money (31.50 + 10%), but the valve adjuster is a little more difficult to quantify (68.90 + 10%). Now those are the prices I got them for, but not sure how close WJM's prices are to that.

The socket is a 1/2" drive for your information.

Good luck,

Alex

What is so special about the socket for the headbolt? I only did an EA81 HG once, and that was 10 years ago, but didn't need anything exotic. IIRC, it was either an 8mm or 10mm allens socket (I had one for my wife's Colt and one for my Datsun), neither cost me more than $5-$10 from S-K.

Is my memory failing me?

they are headbolts/nuts, not socket head bolts on the EA81. They are 17mm also.

the #1 center headbolt is partially covered by the rocker assembly, which makes it impossible to get a standard 17mm socket over it.

Alex

Well, DUH! on me. :) 81's have studs, something I am envious of for my 82's. Too much 82 on the brain of late.

I don't remember a problem. Either I had a workable socket or removed the offending obstruction... too many years, too few remaining braince... oops, there went another!

well, you don't need anything special to take the cylinder head off, yet when you're torquing the seven nuts and two bolts for the rocker arm the latter object gets in the way of one sort-of two of the nuts inside the valve cover of the cyli head (the center most one and the one of the side nuts).

as for a valve adjuster, you can use a 12mm closed end wrench, and a 5mm open end wrench(if you can find one) or instead a 4'' , or really small, crescent wrench. i used a crescent wrench and actually like it better than the valve adjuster. be pantient though, it takes a little while to get the hang of this method. this is cause as you tighten the locking nut the adjuster nut moves a little too. so it takes some time to be able to predict how far it will move.

for the head socket you can make one your self,

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2618&highlight=head+socket

or try this: (part # in FSM is 499987006)

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27976&highlight=head+socket

*i spent way too long writing this, by the time i posted two people had aready replyed, oh well:rolleyes:

If I remember correctly the adjuster is 4mm ? thats what wrench fits on mine. I guess Ill have to double check now.

Oh, and there are 7 head nuts, and 2 headbolts for the EA81's per side to be precise. Youll need a short socket for the headbolts to be able to fit the socket and torque wrench onto the bolts with the engine in the car.

Good Luck.

Alex

To answer the wrench questions, sears actually carries a set of 10 wrenches from 4mm to 10mm for about 10 bucks.

I think a crows foot might work, but not sure how that will affect the torque values. as it will offset the torque by an inch or so.

You could always check a crows foot on a torque wrench against a regular torque wrench, just find a double headed bolt that you can torque them againt each other on. Id bet the regular would click first, and the crows foot one later.

Good luck,

Alex

To answer the wrench questions, sears actually carries a set of 10 wrenches from 4mm to 10mm for about 10 bucks.

I think a crows foot might work, but not sure how that will affect the torque values. as it will offset the torque by an inch or so.

You could always check a crows foot on a torque wrench against a regular torque wrench, just find a double headed bolt that you can torque them againt each other on. Id bet the regular would click first, and the crows foot one later.

Good luck,

Alex

Yo do have to adjust you torque wrench settings when using an offset head such as a crows foot. A fairly simple procedure involving a ruler, it is outlined in many tool catalogues and so on.