Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody supercharged their gen1 legacy?

This is just my observation, so the flame suit is on, but: as long-wearing as Sube motors are, the basic open-deck, non oil-squirter, normally-aspirated engines have a tendency to suffer inordinately in the face of aftermarket forced-induction.

I know there are exceptions. The people that have done it successfully have stuck with small turbos, have all been REALLY anal about engine management parameters, and have resisted the temptation to get greedy with the boost.

Maybe it's the just the ghost of rimmer or something, but successful aftermarket supercharger installs are especially rare. Unless you're willing to drop in some low-compression forged pistons at the very least, your severely handicapping your effort at success.

Yeah. Me.

Before Intercooler

supercharger-bay-callouts.jpg

after intercooler

hoodup.jpg

I have since improved the SC to AWIC connection but don't have an uploaded picture currently.

This is on a 2.2 1990 block with 225k. Running 7 psi starting at 2000rpm and rises to 9-10 psi near 6000rpm.

Upgraded the fuel pump, injectors, rrfpr, AWIC, 7.25" crank pulley, no power steering, half done upgraded exhaust.

Pretty fast, this 1990 wagon is faster uphill (more torque I suspect) to 100 than a stock EVO.

• 1 month later...

Another update.

I finally took it to the dyno.

red_devil_dyno_sheet_3_16_05.jpg

Turns out I did the dyno run on basically 3 plugs with the 4th having the plug wiring just resting on top of the plug. I also had a horribly clogged fuel sock in the tank that when replaced, allowed the fuel pressure to jump 10 psi. So basically I would safely add almost 10 hp and torque to the dyno numbers.

I am getting about 20 mpg (unless I am tracking it, then about 12). Since I solved the misfiring issue, the wagon has been running pretty well and I am damn proud of it. Of course now I need to figure out how to get more boost out of it!