Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Putting an Alarm in my '86 GL (Attn: Wiring Guru Skip!!)

OK, i'm having some *fun* putting an alarm into my '86 GL Wagon.

The problem I'm having is finding the wires and getting the parking lights or hazard lights to flash with the alarm.

I haven't decided if I want to flash my parking lights, or my hazards... so i'm looking for information on both right now.

I would like to know the wire colors and which plug, and where they can be found (preferably under the steering column area).

The wire that i'm connecting from the alarm is a +12V. I've heard that our headlights switch the ground, instead of apply power.

So, to recap. I need to know the wire colors and locations of a wire for the hazard lights and the parking lights. I need to know if I can just hook my +12v wire to it to make them flash or if I need to do something fancy with a relay or something.

The info needs to pertain to a 1986 GL wagon. I've tried getting info from my '87 FSM, and the wire colors don't seem to match up...

• 2 weeks later...

Tex, I sent you a detailed description of the wiring you needed along with some testing procedures.

I have heard nothing in return,

did you get the email?

Or did I use the wrong address?

Oops! Sorry Skip!

I got the email, and it worked perfectly. After I got it hooked up to flash the parking lights, I decided I'd rather have it flash the turn signals.

I found the wires coming out the steering column for the left and right circuit. I connected my one "light wire" coming from the alarm to the 2 wires, with diodes in place so that the circuits remained seperated.

Worked out great.

I ended up tapping the door signal wire over to the right of the glove box, the IGN+ and batt + i took off different sources from behind the fuse box.

I put an aftermarket 2-wire door lock actuator into the drivers door (since activating that, works the rest of the power door locks) So now I have keyless entry too!

The alarm also works with the alarm, by supplying the horn with a - to ground it. However, i found the ground it supplied to not be sufficient. After several different relay configurations, I was able to make it so that the alarm triggered the relay, which grounded the horn and made it honk.

One honk, one light flash for arming and locking the car

2 honks and 3 flashes (the last staying on for 30 sec. or till the car is turned on) to disarm and unlock the car.

Approx. 30 seconds after starting, the alarm autolocks the doors. As soon as the car is turned off it autounlocks the doors.

The alarm has a bunch of options and settings you can turn on and off, i'm currently just running it in its "out of box" factory settings.

I have yet to install and hook up the siren that accompanies the alarm, but i do know its damn loud.

Thanks for the reply Tex

I was afraid I went brain south again

operative word "again"

and mailed it to off street address

Glad you got it set up to your specs.

My remote starter is the best thing since butt wipe on a roll