Ultimate Subaru Message Board

you really should be computing your km's per gallon (or liter) for a better idea of how your car is doing. going by miles on a tank has a lot more uncertainty. i keep a running average by always filling the tank until the nozzle stops, and recording the odometer reading. this way, you know how many miles you drove on a certain volume of gas (oops, kms in you case). over a few tanks, you even out any slight over/under fillings, and have a pretty accurate reading.

Guest lothar34

You'll have to do the conversion yourself, but my '98 has never got less than 20mpg or more than 25mpg on a single tank under any conditions.

I think Subaru's recommended tire pressure is 26 or 29psi. Regardless, if you can handle a little bit rougher ride, 33-35psi will get you better mileage.

MarkHP, I have a 2003 XS Forester with 4,035 kms (2,507 miles)on the clock and have kept Fuel stats from Day 1 (07-01-03) my figures are:

Best 8.27 L/100K - Combined City/Hwy Cycle

Worst 9.76 L/100K - All City Cycle.

For our USA friends that is:

33.80 mpg

28.64 mpg

all figures were obtained using 98RON fuel and I fill my tank to the brim everytime and then give it a little bit of stick on the way home to "burn off" the excess.

I also try to fill my car in the early morning when the fuel is more dense, although that is not always possible when travelling.

I will be doing a 3,000 km (1865 miles) round trip soon so I will be able to give a better idea of my Hwy figure.

Guest lothar34

"My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it!"

(it's really closer to 1 million rods to the hogshead, but that's not the quote)