Ultimate Subaru Message Board

#%$^@&*&* Digital Dash

In case you didn't get it, I HATE DIGITAL DASHES!!!!! :temper: First it was the temperature guage, now it is the fuel guage. With a full tank of gas, sometimes it reads empty, somethings 2 bars, somethings 3 bars, something two bars from the top, and it changes every time that I turn the key on. :banghead: It is a good thing the odometer still works, I know about how far it goes on a tank of gas, so I re-fill when it gets close to that mileage. Has anyone else had this problem and found a fix???

I assume this is on the '86 GL-10??

If so, it seems that the '85-'86 LCD digi-dashes had a problem with the solder joints for the fuel and temp gauges.

I fixed my temp gauge by pulling the cluster and holding a soldering iron on the temp sender pin on the back. I sold the car soon after, so I'm not sure how long the fix lasted.

Naturally, the correct solution would be to tear the cluster apart and properly solder the pins, but that would be quite a large job.

You might consider swapping an '87+ LED digi-dash in its place as they are much more reliable, but I don't know if the wiring would be the same or not.

CIS, actually both of my Subarus have digital dashes, but you are right, it is the 86. I know about the solder trick, but never tried it. I've thought about that 87+ digi-dash, but there were quite a few changes to the interior between 86 and 87, so like you, I'm not sure it would work.