Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recently after a major cold snap my airbag light came on and the horn stopped working. I have checked the fuses but they all seem to be in working order.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or may not know what is going on.

I am trying to get to the bottom of this problem.

Could this be a relay switch or something else?

Please help me if you can.

THANKS!!!

mschiavone2,

Since the airbag and the horn both operate fron the centre of the steering wheel, and both quite working, logic says that the problem is with the wiring harnesses in the steering column as suggested by Cougar. Get to your dealership to correct the problem. Don't mess with the airbag on your own, unless you know what you're doing. It is too easy to get hurt if the bag goes off unexpectedly, not to mention very expensive to replace if it goes off.

sounds definitely like a clockspring, cold weather seems to make them fail a bit more often than normal, it's not really a bad job to replace one compared to the major engine rebuilds and other jobs that are routinely discussed on this board. just a few safety precautions to follow.

Thanks everyone, does anyone know how much this repair may cost.

I would definitely need to go to a dealer to have it fixed.

sounds definitely like a clockspring, cold weather seems to make them fail a bit more often than normal, it's not really a bad job to replace one compared to the major engine rebuilds and other jobs that are routinely discussed on this board. just a few safety precautions to follow.

Not sure on cost, but if you have them disable the air bag, or at least find out how to disable it (Usually it's disabled by disconnecting the battery for a set amount of time, can be anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours or more) but once it's disabled you could probably do it yourself if it is in fact the clock spring. (ABS computer codes would tell you) Just have to make sure it's centered or it will break.

If I had to guess on a price, I'd probably guess somwhere in the 100-300 dollar range...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am no mechanic, but my 98 Forester had this same problem for months. Intermitent airbag light on, horn not working, cruise control not working, then finally all 3 not working. Took it to a guy who speciualizes in steering column repairs, who determined that it was the clock spring. New spring itself was 250.00 US or so, total installed with tax was 358.00 and change.--bobw