Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Problems in 1991 Legacy 2.2L

Having some problems with my 1991 Legacy. Has a 2.2L engine. At anything below 3000 revs, the engine runs extremely rough. Barely is able to idle, when idling, the whole car shakes and engine seems to want to turn off. Tach show just below 500 for idling, seems kinda low. Also, at below 3000 revs, there is no power, I have to floor it to get anywhere. Above 3000, car runs ok. Added some fuel system cleaner to gas tank not to long ago, hasn't really helped. After a short 5 or so mile drive, there is a very little bit of smoke coming from the left bank of cylinders. Don't know what's wrong. Could it be timing or spark plug wires??? Thanks for your help in advance.

I had a 91 and had a problem that perplexed me much as yours is doing, intermittant rough idle like it was going to stall, the clue was carbon on one of the spark plugs seems the current was escaping the boot and going down the ceramic part of the spark plug, a set of wires and she purred just like she did before, oh by the way this happened with about 130,000 on it two years ago. hope this helps

All of the spark plug wires were on tight. Last tune up was I don't know when, although alternator was replaced a couple weeks ago. The smoke is a really light grey color from the left side of the engine. There wasn't too much of it, and this was after about 10-15 minutes of driving. Thanks.

Check legacy777's website www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html and get the scoop on reading trouble codes. It could just be an O2 sensor.

sorry but i doubt its an Oxygen sensor, it sounds like your TPS is bad or damaged, or the IAC is bad, i would take it to autozone and if its showing codes have them reed them, then come back, and if its not showing codes, then i would say do a good tune up.

also how old are your cats, and how many miles on the car.

another thing that is VERY IMPORTANT, these octane boosters and such, dont use them, the added alochol that they put into your gas tank is bad for cat's, there is a reason that the government puts a certain amount of alochol in gas, it is VERY corrosive and it will eat up your cats like nothing, there is no performance gain, no better gas milage and if you do get a better running car then there is some larger problem that you have with your car.

sounds like bad rings or loss in compression to me, is your car using alot of oil, does it leak it or seem to have it go nowhere. if its idling rough and has no power, sounds like compression loss to me, do a compression test first and see what that tells you. could also be that little plastic plate on backsidfe of engine, they will loose their seal and leak oil back there.

~Josh~

sounds like bad rings or loss in compression to me, is your car using alot of oil, does it leak it or seem to have it go nowhere. if its idling rough and has no power, sounds like compression loss to me, do a compression test first and see what that tells you. could also be that little plastic plate on backsidfe of engine, they will loose their seal and leak oil back there.

~Josh~

no offence josh, but i HIGHLY doubt its bad rings, engines build in the last 15-20 years have a evtremely small chance of mechanical failure, they are more prone to electrical failure, ie sensors/wiring

First, replace the spark plugs & wires, air filter, fuel filter, & pcv valve. You're basic tune-up stuff.

You may want to check the codes before, just to make sure.

It's not the cat converters, it will typically get worse as the car is driven, and won't allow you to rev real high due to back pressure in the exhaust.

I'd start with a tune-up and check the codes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I recently have had the same problem with my 1990 subaru Legacy, I've tried BG44k fuel injector cleaner, replacing the air filter. Recently I've replaced some fluids, the oil and oil filter. Its got a new water pump and timing belt. Suzzy Subaru only has 64K miles on her and I'd like to keep her up but this is just odd. The Check engine light only comes on once in a while, but old Suzzy just can't shake of this off. After the car sits over night The problem ushally subsides for a period of time. Anyway thanks for reading this. Hope you can help.

~Nathan

Hey, I recently have had the same problem with my 1990 subaru Legacy, I've tried BG44k fuel injector cleaner, replacing the air filter. Recently I've replaced some fluids, the oil and oil filter. Its got a new water pump and timing belt. Suzzy Subaru only has 64K miles on her and I'd like to keep her up but this is just odd. The Check engine light only comes on once in a while, but old Suzzy just can't shake of this off. After the car sits over night The problem ushally subsides for a period of time. Anyway thanks for reading this. Hope you can help.

~Nathan

Have you pulled the engine codes to see what is causing the check engine light?

• 3 months later...

I had the same thing happen with my 88 wagon, the light would come on sometimes and not at other times, it was happening with a van at work and I was told to check the gas cap if it was on tight or not, so I checked and after I tightened it the light went out and stayed out, same with my 88 wagon. Somehting you can try.

~Nathan

• 9 years later...

Not to beat the dead horse, but I have the exact same scenario with my 1991 Legacy L 2.2 Automatic. Then it went away for a month, then came back to stay. It was throwing all kinds of codes... too many to make any logic, but swapped the plugs, wires, fuel filter, and O2 sensor, figuring that these things would need to be done soon anyway. Also, pulled all the injector electrical connectors, cleaned them, and put NoOx in case (cant hurt). Only code left is 15 for injector #2 Abnormal Signal... Considering buying a new injector or a whole set..